Beckham

Manchester United chat
Post Reply
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 3989
Joined: 10 years ago

Anyone else seen the Netflix documentary? Have to say I really enjoyed watching it. You forget how bad the shit was he went through, and it wouldn't have been half as bad if he played for any other club. Clearly broke his heart being forced out of United, and its easy to forget how good he was. Phenomenal player.

Felt a bit emotional watching it actually. That 99 side was THE side I've most ever connected with. Those lads were just a couple of years older than me, and following United at that time and age was the time of my life. And as I'm watching, I realise that the club we were then is dead now. I'll never feel like United again, the way I did then.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 9860
Joined: 10 years ago

I've not seen it yet but I will say Beckham was underrated. It was often said he was limited, and he was, but I think it's more a case of his talent not matching his ridiculous megastar fame the like of which you don't get now.

People forget he used to control games through work rate, personality, and stunning long passes. His ability to find a pass between the lines or a pin point cross would be more appreciated now. It allowed him to control games. He'd pick it up and play it in behind or put it on some cunt's head and we'd score. And he always wanted the ball. He had a brilliant determination.

I don't even think people appreciated this at the time. I remember watching games thinking he's running the show here, especially in the CL, but it'd be Keane or someone else that would get the praise.
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 3989
Joined: 10 years ago

Yeah, he was resented because of the looks and fame. Very much under rated, but very much world class. His right foot was every bit as good as the likes of De Bruyne.
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 3989
Joined: 10 years ago

And he seems like a genuinely decent, humble bloke. Despite it all. He comes out of the documentary really well. As does Posh tbf.
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 2893
Joined: 10 years ago

Looking forward to seeing it.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 9860
Joined: 10 years ago

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 4 months ago Yeah, he was resented because of the looks and fame. Very much under rated, but very much world class. His right foot was every bit as good as the likes of De Bruyne.
I went and watched a compilation vid of his best passes after this. There's one pass on the ground that splits 4 lines of players, and another class one where he breaks 3. It's just mad. You're right, it's De Bruyne stuff.
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1384
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

Watched it myself last week and really enjoyed it. Couldn't agree more that he was an absolutely top player who never really got enough praise for his football because he was a pretty boy megastar.

Felt a bit emotional too. Always get goosebumps watching the '99 Final. There'll never be another moment in football like it. The bit on it in the Amazon Fergie documentary was class as well the way you heard the commentary but only saw him and the bench losing their minds.

Have to say I was a bit cynical with the Beckham doc at first expecting a puff piece distracting from the fact that he happily takes money from dictators and human rights abusers like the rest of them. But he won me round because he's incredibly down to earth in spite of being so rich and famous. Genuinely felt like it was the first time he'd really confronted some of the madness in his life between the '98 WC and '07 when he left Madrid. Can't imagine balancing having a young family and being a top sportsman in that environment. Mental.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 4589
Joined: 10 years ago

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 4 months ago I've not seen it yet but I will say Beckham was underrated. It was often said he was limited, and he was, but I think it's more a case of his talent not matching his ridiculous megastar fame the like of which you don't get now.

People forget he used to control games through work rate, personality, and stunning long passes. His ability to find a pass between the lines or a pin point cross would be more appreciated now. It allowed him to control games. He'd pick it up and play it in behind or put it on some cunt's head and we'd score. And he always wanted the ball. He had a brilliant determination.

I don't even think people appreciated this at the time. I remember watching games thinking he's running the show here, especially in the CL, but it'd be Keane or someone else that would get the praise.
Yeah we had a few players with game-changing passing back in those days. It's such an exciting quality in a player.

I'll have a look at the documentary!
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 3989
Joined: 10 years ago

Felwin wrote: 4 months ago Watched it myself last week and really enjoyed it. Couldn't agree more that he was an absolutely top player who never really got enough praise for his football because he was a pretty boy megastar.

Felt a bit emotional too. Always get goosebumps watching the '99 Final. There'll never be another moment in football like it. The bit on it in the Amazon Fergie documentary was class as well the way you heard the commentary but only saw him and the bench losing their minds.

Have to say I was a bit cynical with the Beckham doc at first expecting a puff piece distracting from the fact that he happily takes money from dictators and human rights abusers like the rest of them. But he won me round because he's incredibly down to earth in spite of being so rich and famous. Genuinely felt like it was the first time he'd really confronted some of the madness in his life between the '98 WC and '07 when he left Madrid. Can't imagine balancing having a young family and being a top sportsman in that environment. Mental.
Fair play to them confronting his affair too. Not that I give shit, it's no one's business but theirs, however it would have been easy to swerve it and in talking about it, it's humanised them both and does away with the idea that it was just about an image boost. It's a really good watch.
Post Reply