Qatar World Cup

Non-United football chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Welsh fans were stopped by security before yesterday's game and had their rainbow merch confiscated

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... dApp_Other
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

In football news, Argentina lost to Saudi Arabia. That won't go down well in Qatar.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Fair play to Keane. I've seen pundits criticise the human rights but no one has bluntly said Qatar shouldn't have the world cup - whilst being in Qatar as well.

Remember the qatari state said they would monitor broadcasts and hinted at consequences. They're already heavily stage managing media by only allowing them 3 places to broadcast from. I think they've bunched all of the media together on one site too. From what I gather they're not allowed to stay elsewhere.

dozer
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 2 months ago Fair play to Keane. I've seen pundits criticise the human rights but no one has bluntly said Qatar shouldn't have the world cup - whilst being in Qatar as well.

Remember the qatari state said they would monitor broadcasts and hinted at consequences. They're already heavily stage managing media by only allowing them 3 places to broadcast from. I think they've bunched all of the media together on one site too. From what I gather they're not allowed to stay elsewhere.

That's just bullshit from Keane. He's in Qatar watching and earning from the games. Either he shuts up and enjoys the football or criticise and have no part in the world cup.

I've already used this analogy before but does it make sense if I frequently go to a restaurant which runs on slave trade/child labour/exploitation etc, enjoy their food and criticise the worker abuse? I then proceed to go again the next day and repeat this charade? I think this is a fair analogy. The only way this makes sense is by calling hypocrisy.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 months ago
Fuck the Glazers wrote: 2 months ago Fair play to Keane. I've seen pundits criticise the human rights but no one has bluntly said Qatar shouldn't have the world cup - whilst being in Qatar as well.

That's just bullshit from Keane. He's in Qatar watching and earning from the games. Either he shuts up and enjoys the football or criticise and have no part in the world cup.

I've already used this analogy before but does it make sense if I frequently go to a restaurant which runs on slave trade/child labour/exploitation etc, enjoy their food and criticise the worker abuse? I then proceed to go again the next day and repeat this charade? I think this is a fair analogy. The only way this makes sense is by calling hypocrisy.
I'm not sure it works as customers at restaurants are not employees with contracts. Keane is essentially working it. Now he doesn't need the money which is another thing. But he's not a customer.

Also is boycotting the best solution? Using platforms seems to be a good way to highlight sportwashing. I'm not sure either way tbh.

But I'm thinking using football as sportwashing is not working anymore. It worked with Abramovic and to a degree City. But the coverage of this world cup and comments from orgs, teams, pundits, people with platforms has put a huge emphasis on Qatar's human rights, labour laws, brutality etc. It's absolutely there, present. We all know it. The casual fan knows it.

I think some states don't want the heat now either. Bin Salman doesn't give a fuck but there have been reports for the last year or so that the Qataris are looking to sell. They're hated in France and it's bringing a lot of consistent negative flak.
FuB
Site Admin

Finally a team makes a statement. German team pointing out that they've been silenced.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
dozer
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 2 months ago

I'm not sure it works as customers at restaurants are not employees with contracts. Keane is essentially working it. Now he doesn't need the money which is another thing. But he's not a customer.

Also is boycotting the best solution? Using platforms seems to be a good way to highlight sportwashing. I'm not sure either way tbh.

But I'm thinking using football as sportwashing is not working anymore. It worked with Abramovic and to a degree City. But the coverage of this world cup and comments from orgs, teams, pundits, people with platforms has put a huge emphasis on Qatar's human rights, labour laws, brutality etc. It's absolutely there, present. We all know it. The casual fan knows it.

I think some states don't want the heat now either. Bin Salman doesn't give a fuck but there have been reports for the last year or so that the Qataris are looking to sell. They're hated in France and it's bringing a lot of consistent negative flak.
Keane is a customer in the sense that he's benefitting from the world cup by being a viewer. He's also benefitting by working there and earning money. He's okay with the benefits but he criticises the world cup. It's like having the cake and shitting on the cook. Repeatedly until mid December.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Keane is a customer in the sense that he's benefitting from the world cup by being a viewer. He's also benefitting by working there and earning money. He's okay with the benefits but he criticises the world cup. It's like having the cake and shitting on the cook. Repeatedly until mid December.
What restaurants do you go to where you get paid to go? Surely they pay you not to go?
dozer
Legend

What restaurants do you go to where you get paid to go? Surely they pay you not to go?
I didn't call you a hypocrite. I only said keane was one.
You don't need to get annoyed.
bman2
Legend

Shows more guts and has more impact to go there and criticize the hosts during live coverage, IMHO.

The thing that annoys me is that there wasn’t nearly as much criticism when it came to hosting the WC in Russia, or the Olympics in China. Definitely a double standard there.