Qatar World Cup

Non-United football chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

What about this then. More than 6500 dead so far. They're imposing huge restrictions on the media

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... strictions

They're also paying fans to act positively

https://news.sky.com/story/england-and- ... s-12738094

And there's still confusion as to whether LGBTQ people will be arrested for existing

Completely fucked up tbh. I thought they would liberalise and look progressive while the tournament was on. But apparently not.
Jason
Star Man

"And there's still confusion as to whether LGBTQ people will be arrested for existing"

They'll be allowed to exist, just as long as they don't hold hands in public, any PDA, or give any indication they are LGBTQ.

Very progressive.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

The whole thing stinks. Nation's and players could have sent a profound message by boycotting it. I know that's easy for me to say and there's an argument that players just want to play and didn't choose the location. But at a time where they have a platform and a voice, and don't shy away from making certain statements, when push comes to shove, the hard sacrifices still aren't made. Neville was handed his arse on Have I Got News For You, for the hypocrisy of being outspoken on certain topics but still taking the Qatari coin to go and commentate for BEIN
Jason
Star Man

Starting to see more "news" on how Qatar shouldnt be hosting this. Why has it taken to less than 2 weeks before the bloody things starts for the "News" companies to start putting out a couple of powder puff articles.

If any team is serious, they should boycott the tournament. It would never happen, but even if one prominent player did, it would say more than fucking wearing a one love armband.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Jason wrote: 1 year ago Starting to see more "news" on how Qatar shouldnt be hosting this. Why has it taken to less than 2 weeks before the bloody things starts for the "News" companies to start putting out a couple of powder puff articles.

If any team is serious, they should boycott the tournament. It would never happen, but even if one prominent player did, it would say more than fucking wearing a one love armband.
Totally. Those same media outlets will be reporting how great it is when its underway. They're just covering their arse for now.
swampash
Legend

In two minds about whether to watch it. My basic instincts are to boycott the broadcasts but on the other hand, if I don't watch, I won't be able to judge it objectively for the corrupt debacle that it is and will miss the opportunity to see who, if anyone, makes a political protest.
Difficult.
Anyone here managed to resolve this dilemma?
FuB
Site Admin

swampash wrote: 1 year ago In two minds about whether to watch it. My basic instincts are to boycott the broadcasts but on the other hand, if I don't watch, I won't be able to judge it objectively for the corrupt debacle that it is and will miss the opportunity to see who, if anyone, makes a political protest.
Difficult.
Surely anyone who makes any sort of comment or protest is going to get headline news and be all over twitter, youtube, etc. so you could just not bother watching and just judge the snippets
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
swampash
Legend

FuB wrote: 1 year ago
swampash wrote: 1 year ago In two minds about whether to watch it. My basic instincts are to boycott the broadcasts but on the other hand, if I don't watch, I won't be able to judge it objectively for the corrupt debacle that it is and will miss the opportunity to see who, if anyone, makes a political protest.
Difficult.
Surely anyone who makes any sort of comment or protest is going to get headline news and be all over twitter, youtube, etc. so you could just not bother watching and just judge the snippets
Fair point Fuß. I'm still really torn though.
Wall-to-wall documentaries on the main German broadcaster at the moment on FIFA corruption and human rights in Qatar. One can argue it's all a bit late, but it does seem to be setting up outspoken commentary on the event. The commentators here are much more likely I think to speak their minds. Also just caught a headline on the daily FT email suggesting that some human rights activists are in favour of people watching - not had time yet to log in and read the article, which I will shortly.
My gut says boycott but my head says watch and judge.
What are you going to do?
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Difficult.
I'm the same tbh. The thing about sportwashing is that if we take part, aka watch football, we play a small role in that sportwashing process. We do it with City and Newcastle in the Prem. But then is not watching meaningful action. Can you watch and also be critical and call out the bad stuff.

I'll probably watch a few matches and that's it. I won't watch every match like all previous world cups. I'm barely arsed tbh. It's too grim and also a huge fuck about having it mid season. I won't spend any money on it either as per (this is probably more meaningful action than not watching).

For me the most effective action is supporting better rights for workers (home and abroad), supporting LGBTQ+ rights and visibility via various means eg on the streets, politically etc and also fighting any form of authoritarianism whether it's in Qatar or the Tories wanting to criminalise striking workers in the UK that want enough money to put their heating on.
FuB
Site Admin

I will probably watch as many matches as possible like i usually do. Like Sid, I won't be putting any money into it and I'll actively boycott all of the sponsors - although, to be fair, that's no different from my usual stance.

The problem with the moral dilemma is that I watch plenty of premier league football as well so watching tournaments that includes City, Newcastle, PSG, Chelsea for all these years is - in however small a way - propping up and legitimising these regimes. Can we say that the doped clubs' existence is not as bad as a World Cup in a country with a terrible and terrifying regime? Are there levels where we can turn a blind eye? If I boycott the World Cup does that clean my conscience and if I watch the World Cup does that make me evil?

The only people who can make a meaningful stand are those with a voice during this tournament, i,e, the players and the media... and i hope they make use of it despite FIFA's attempts to silence them and keep order.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence