Welcome to the new NQAT Forum

Manchester United chat
FuB
Site Admin

Sorry, swamps, i didn't notice your question until now.

The Bing bot, Google bot, etc are special user accounts that allow search engines to log in and index the pages on the forum. There's a bot account for all of the major search engines and they log in from time to time (and regularly).
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
swampash
Legend

No problem. Thanks for the explanation.
dozer
Legend

I just noticed this. 168 guests are online atm. Something's not right.
I only see this when I access the board index ie the forum root path, https://nqatpod.com/forum/ not the specific threads
Who is online
In total there are 170 users online :: 1 registered, 1 hidden and 168 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 269 on Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm
Jason
Star Man

dozer wrote: 1 month ago I just noticed this. 168 guests are online atm. Something's not right.
I only see this when I access the board index ie the forum root path, https://nqatpod.com/forum/ not the specific threads
Who is online
In total there are 170 users online :: 1 registered, 1 hidden and 168 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
I'm guessing bots, but I've no idea.

I guess forums are old school now, it's all about twitter/x which is why we don't have maybe as many active users as you'd expect.
dozer
Legend

Jason wrote: 1 month ago
dozer wrote: 1 month ago I just noticed this. 168 guests are online atm. Something's not right.
Who is online

I guess forums are old school now, it's all about twitter/x which is why we don't have maybe as many active users as you'd expect.
We've never had that many active users in the last couple of decades.
FuB
Site Admin

Who is online

Jason is correct. It's more than one bot but most of the connections are from facebook at the moment. Facebook are actually quite helpful and provide a link in their user string to explain what the connection is for so, rather than explain myself, i'll just post the link so you can see for yourselves: https://www.facebook.com/externalhit_uatext.php
dozer wrote: 1 month ago Something's not right.
I'm not sure how you jump to that conclusion, really. Guest users are exactly that.. guests. Anyone browsing the forum without a login will show as a guest. If we had 168 registered users connected at the same time i'd be way more concerned.
FuB
Site Admin

dozer wrote: 1 month ago
Who is online

We've never had that many active users in the last couple of decades.
err... except that your own post includes the rather contradictory: "Most users ever online was 269 on Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm"
dozer
Legend

FuB wrote: 1 month ago
Who is online

Jason is correct. It's more than one bot but most of the connections are from facebook at the moment. Facebook are actually quite helpful and provide a link in their user string to explain what the connection is for so, rather than explain myself, i'll just post the link so you can see for yourselves: https://www.facebook.com/externalhit_uatext.php
dozer wrote: 1 month ago Something's not right.
I'm not sure how you jump to that conclusion, really. Guest users are exactly that.. guests. Anyone browsing the forum without a login will show as a guest. If we had 168 registered users connected at the same time i'd be way more concerned.
I don't follow. It's not clear what translates to a guest user viewing the forum.

This is what facebook says. Does this mean facebook hyperlinks and their temp display of images shows up as guest users, perhaps one guest user per fetch from facebook?
Or does there are 150-200 real users randomly viewing this forums information loaded on facebook in the last 5 mins.
facebook post wrote: Why does Facebook appear in my server logs?
Facebook allows its users to send links to interesting web content to other Facebook users. Part of how this works on the Facebook system involves the temporary display of certain images or details related to the web content, such as the title of the webpage or the embed tag of a video. Our system retrieves this information only after a user provides us with a link. You may have found this page because a Facebook user sent a link from your website to other Facebook users. If you have any questions or concerns about any links or content sent by one of our users, please contact us at legal@facebook.com.
This is what I see when I access the root link ie.the index page - index.php
There are around 150 guest users in the last 5 mins. I click anywhere else in the forum and it's 0 guests in the last 5 mins. Do you know why that is?
rant index page wrote: Who is online
In total there are 151 users online :: 2 registered, 1 hidden and 148 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Anyway all of this is just a casual question, I'm just curious.
Last edited by dozer 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
dozer
Legend

FuB wrote: 1 month ago
dozer wrote: 1 month ago