Time for a change...

Manchester United chat
FuB
Site Admin

Sid wrote: 1 year ago That's a lot better. I like the new font as well. I noticed the Van Gaal thread is still there though. I can't be arsed to go through it but I'm assuming there's no toxic shite in there?

Also are we getting a new banner and URL?
There's no way i'm going to spend my time looking through threads to see if there's anything toxic in them.

The criteria used was just any thread that had not been posted to in over 365 days. I guess someone posted to that thread in the meantime and, knowing your little battle with some other cunts that went on throughout, i'd expect it to be minging. Happy to delete it if you want... actually, fuck it, i'll just kill it
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
FuB
Site Admin

Beyond that, you'll see i upgraded the forum software and i've just applied the new style.

Banner, logo and URL change will have to wait till I hear back from Ed.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Well done Fub, it looks mint and works much better than the old forum. Your effort is much appreciated!
dozer
Legend

Sid wrote: 1 year ago Well done Fub, it looks mint and works much better than the old forum. Your effort is much appreciated!
The forum looks different.
I'm just curious. What makes the forum new? The software was updated (which I'm assuming has to be done occasionally anyway) and the font and looks have changed a bit. I'm assuming the platform is still the same. What else has changed?
FuB
Site Admin

dozer wrote: 1 year ago
Sid wrote: 1 year ago Well done Fub, it looks mint and works much better than the old forum. Your effort is much appreciated!
The forum looks different.
I'm just curious. What makes the forum new? The software was updated (which I'm assuming has to be done occasionally anyway) and the font and looks have changed a bit. I'm assuming the platform is still the same. What else has changed?
The forum uses the phpBB software which, in turn, runs using a scripting language known as php (hence the name). What i've done (so far) is upgrade the version of phpBB to the latest. We were previously quite some way behind this and, whilst you're right that it should be upgraded occasionally, i've been somewhat lacking in that respect due to time constraints and an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.

A couple of weeks back, as you all noticed, the forum was broken because Ed had needed to change the underlying version of php in order to support his NQAT site. We were able to set things so that the underlying version of php was different here to NQAT and that got the site working again. Sooner or later, this would have ended up as a forced move (which is what happened when the forum died in 2018 and I needed to fix it) so it prompted me into gearing up for an upgrade of phpBB anyway.

Then we had all the discussion about moving the forum completely under the NQAT umbrella and so it made sense to roll all of that into the same big "upgrade".

Beyond upgrading phpBB, i've needed to upgrade the "style" or theme that gives this forum its look and feel. That's required a few cosmetic changes and I made some other changes just because i thought it looked nicer. No other reason than that, really. I don't want to change the overall look and feel of the forum since we're all used to it and it works well.

We're not yet finished. The next stage is to pick up this forum and physically move it to nqatpod.com instead of unitedrant.co.uk. I haven't done that as yet because it requires some coordination with Ed who is a very busy chap and there's also a substantial timezone difference between the two of us. I hope to do this last step over the coming days but I need to plan it quite carefully and have been.

I hope that clears things up.
dozer
Legend

Cheers fubs.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

This! Thanks Fub. When I clicked on the “direction link” and it said “not ready yet you cunts” made me chuckle 🤭
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
FuB
Site Admin

brianofnazarethffs wrote: 1 year ago
This! Thanks Fub. When I clicked on the “direction link” and it said “not ready yet you cunts” made me chuckle 🤭
Well, i knew at least one fuckwit would click it before time ;)
Jason
Star Man

End of the rant era!
I'm guessing the nqat site will have the new forum link?
FuB
Site Admin

Jason wrote: 1 year ago End of the rant era!
I'm guessing the nqat site will have the new forum link?
Already does. Was waiting for Ed to change it before proceeding with the move