v Liverpool (Friendly)

Forum for match day threads
dozer
Legend

We've comfortably beaten Real Madrid and Barcelona in friendlies. There's nothing we can infer from this game.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Pleasantly surprised by seeing more signs of encouragement than I expected.
Jason
Star Man

Didnt see the match, but sound promising.

Bangkok century cup champions. Has a nice ring to it :))
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

You can see why Hag wants De Jong. A properly cultured midfielder who can take the ball off the defence and link the play will be crucial to how we want to play
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

jason_uk wrote: 1 year ago Didnt see the match, but sound promising.

Bangkok century cup champions. Has a nice ring to it :))
Enjoy it, this could be as good as it gets
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago For anyone who's arsed, my take on it. Keeping in mind we had pretty much a full strength 11 and they had most big hitters missing:

1st 30 mins:

We had decent pressure on the ball and pressed quite high, starting with quite a high defensive line.
Our full backs were both VERY high when we had possession.
Some decent moments of link up play, generally constrained by our limited technical ability in midfield.
More forward runs off the ball.
Sancho very bright, plenty of rotation amongst the front players.
Martial bright, good work rate.
Rashford energetic but rusty....

We were quite open defensively at times, but we did at least show positivity and intent in our play.
Thanks for that. I was working so missed the game but was shocked by the result tbh. Early days like you say but these results are crucial in building confidence and belief in Hag's philosophy.
OliverB
Reserves

To be perfectly honest, I didn't think we need Frenkie de Jong, I feel we could have got better value for money elsewhere, I just don't think he's World Class and going to change us,

I'm not saying he's rubbish or rubbishing the signing, I just think every foreign manager looks to make a 'big money' signing of a player from his own country and often that move is a flop, Frenkie could well be our flop.

This is one that I'm not too fussed about, I'm more interested in what we do in the market from now onwards.
;)
fat maradona
Legend

Sid wrote: 1 year ago
JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago For anyone who's arsed, my take on it. Keeping in mind we had pretty much a full strength 11 and they had most big hitters missing:

1st 30 mins:

We had decent pressure on the ball and pressed quite high, starting with quite a high defensive line.
Our full backs were both VERY high when we had possession.
Some decent moments of link up play, generally constrained by our limited technical ability in midfield.
More forward runs off the ball.
Sancho very bright, plenty of rotation amongst the front players.
Martial bright, good work rate.
Rashford energetic but rusty....

We were quite open defensively at times, but we did at least show positivity and intent in our play.
Thanks for that. I was working so missed the game but was shocked by the result tbh. Early days like you say but these results are crucial in building confidence and belief in Hag's philosophy.
Lots being made by Liverpool fans of how we played a full strength side and they only fielded their kids....who gives a fuck. Liverpool are in the extremely envious position of having a manager who has been there for years and an established team with an established style of play. We on the other hand have a new manager and a team only just starting to learn to play proper football.

Lots also being made of how ETH took this game seriously.....wtf....why wouldn't he take it seriously? The guy is a consummate professional.

I only watched some extended highlights but it's obvious that McT shouldn't have a regular place in the team. It was good to see the movement, the press and the high line.....what a far cry from the shite we've had to watch over the past 7 years of parking the bus and playing the counter.