Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
Felwin
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 2 months ago Manchester United defender Raphael Varane will leave the club when his contract runs out at the end of the season.

Simon Stone, BBC

Good tbf. Quality player but never fit. He's also one the top 3 earners at the club - around 18-20m a year. It's not value for money therefore not doable with FFP / PSR. Big chunk of money saved.

Whose next?
Yeah, it's a good start. Martial has to be announced next, surely. Can only think the club and the players stay stumm as long as they do as a negotiating tactic really.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

There are some obvious, self funding ways to make material improvements to the squad this summer.

Olise apparently has a release clause this summer of 55-60. We should be able to get that and more by shifting Sancho and Greenwood - there'd be change left over on wages too. Neither has added anything this season, so its a 'free' and significant upgrade.

Talk of 30m for Casemiro from Saudi - that's a no brainer. And another huge wage off the books. Martial and Varane are 2 other big wages saved.

Even in accepting we'll be lumbered with some shite next season, there should be enough wriggle room - even with FFP - to add 4 or 5 sensible signings in the summer that make a big difference.

Even if we have an effective structure in place for the summer, its 2 to 3 years of proper recruitment and management to shape the squad into something highly competitive.
fat maradona
Legend

Lots of shite in there. But I like how there are 7 from the youth set up in the 24/25 squad and if we can shift twats like Casemiro and replace with Gore, we will have more from that youth FA cup winning team in the first team. Doubt they can play any worse than the mercs they will replace.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 1 month ago Image

Lots of shite in there. But I like how there are 7 from the youth set up in the 24/25 squad and if we can shift twats like Casemiro and replace with Gore, we will have more from that youth FA cup winning team in the first team. Doubt they can play any worse than the mercs they will replace.
A lot of the shite players are big earners too like Casemiro, Sancho, Maguire. Getting rid of 2 or 3 of them frees up a wodge of cash which is essential to turning the club around. Sancho's wage could fund two quality young players,
dozer
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 month ago
fat maradona wrote: 1 month ago Image

A lot of the shite players are big earners too like Casemiro, Sancho, Maguire. Getting rid of 2 or 3 of them frees up a wodge of cash which is essential to turning the club around. Sancho's wage could fund two quality young players,
I'm thinking, how many can we keep. I only have 10 fingers.
I'll keep all 3 goal keepers. Idk if Heaton is going.
I'll only keep kambwala, maguire and martinez among the defenders. If I'm being generous I'll also keep Dalot. 4 defenders.
Midfield - I'll keep Fernandes, mainoo, Mount. If I'm feeling very generous ill keep mct. 4 players. I'll need to use my toes now.
Forwards - amad, Garnacho Hojlund, Wheatley - 4 players

That's 13-15 players. Promote a few more youth players and we may be able to bring the squad upto 18. We'll need to buy about 7 players. If we don't spend more than 30-40m and buy some unestablished youth then we can easily do this. We tend to buy 5, 6 players per season anyway. We've brought more if you include loans
swampash
Legend

Nah, I’d dump Maguire. Tried hard to recover some reputation second half of this season, but not what we need going forward. Keep Dalot instead. Reckon he’s better than most people say.
Keep McTominay. Right attitude. A fighter, scores goals.
Why would you want to keep Mount...?
Jury still our for me with Hojlund. Shown he can improve, but not sure he’s really got what it takes to be top class.
dozer
Legend

swampash wrote: 1 month ago Nah, I’d dump Maguire. Tried hard to recover some reputation second half of this season, but not what we need going forward. Keep Dalot instead. Reckon he’s better than most people say.
Jury still our for me with Hojlund. Shown he can improve, but not sure he’s really got what it takes to be top class.
We can't dump maguire because the rest of the centre backs are injury prone. I'd still expect us to buy a couple of centre backs. It's not like I want him to be our first choice CB.
Felwin
Legend

swampash wrote: 1 month ago Nah, I’d dump Maguire. Tried hard to recover some reputation second half of this season, but not what we need going forward. Keep Dalot instead. Reckon he’s better than most people say.
Completely agree on Maguire and Dalot. Not sure Maguire will go because we need numbers but him being fit and not diabolical is not a "good season" like some have been saying. He's nowhere near the required level and can't play a high line so will always hold us back from playing too aggressively. Dalot's attacking play came on leaps and bounds last season (from a low base tbf) - still not a natural defender but none of our FB's are so maybe that's just how football is going.

McT definitely has to stay IMO. Academy graduate so good for squad rules, goal threat from the bench, not good enough to start but clearly loves it and is happy to be an option as opposed to starting every week.

Not sure we can even judge Mount yet beyond "he cost too much" which isn't his fault. If he's not always injured, he could be an asset once we have a proper DM. Good backup for Bruno/Mainoo. As it is, same reservations as with Mainoo for me, without a more classic defensive player in there, either Mainoo or Mount + Bruno is a bit leightweight. You won't be able to pass round teams every game. Even sideways pass merchants Abu Dhabi have Stones and Rodri to rough you up a bit. Amrabat looked like he could be that player in the final but that was one game. In the rest he looked shite.

I'm a bit more positive on Hojlund. We just shouldn't have signed him and made him our main striker. It's not like he had Rooney's 03/04 season at Atalanta, so he needs a bit of time. Probably not a generational talent but needs a more experienced, reliable goalscorer ahead of him. 2020 Cavani would've been perfect. Kane too if we had state wealth to bring them both in. Reckon an upgrade there is not a priority. Priority has to be 2 CB's, a proper DM and a winger. I can see us getting 1 CB, 1 midfielder who might not be the best fit because other teams will beat us to the punch, and maybe miss out on a good winger too. But as others have said, more important we sell hangers on.
swampash
Legend

Fair points, as usual, Felwin.