Will the Glazers sell?

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Qatar holds Spurs talks as it pushes to add Premier League club to portfolio

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... dApp_Other

Interesting. Why Spurs? Nasser al-Khelaifi, the PSG president and chairman of Qatar Sports Investments, also met with the Glazers. So maybe he is sending them a message that they're prepared to go elsewhere if the price isn't right.

Or maybe the redevelopment / replacement of Old Trafford is putting them off. I wouldn't be surprised. Spurs' ground cost 1.3bn, but with today's interest and inflation rates, the equivalent or better would be over 1.5bn to 2bn. And while Tottenham's ground hasn't been paid for, it is already built and a decent repayment plan has been arranged.

I know when the UAE were looking at English clubs it came down to Newcastle and City, and they chose City cos of the new-ness and quality of the stadium and the closeness to a major airport.
bman2
Legend

Yeah and it doesn’t help that the (probably accurate) general international perception of the UK right now is a country in free fall, politically and economically. If you’re spending £7B or more, I’m sure the big picture has to matter.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

"Manchester United is proud to be the first sports team to partner with the World Economic Forum,” it said in a statement. “Our global community of 1.1 billion fans and followers provide us with powerful opportunities to engage across cultural and geographical boundaries. We are in Davos to explore ways to maximise the impact of the extraordinary reach.”

This club, honestly. They're trying to snare a few wealthy people at a posh ski resort and who knows the odd billionaire that might want to buy the club.
swampash
Legend

Precisely
Felwin
Legend

So all they needed to do was to put on a bash at a ski resort to get his attention.

fat maradona
Legend

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... eague-club

Fuck me, this could give me a 24/7 boner if it happens.
Felwin
Legend

No idea whether he'd be good for us but it'd be a huge sigh of relief to not have human rights abusing owners
fat maradona
Legend

You have to remember, it's not Jim actually buying it and so we wouldn't be owned by an individual. It'd be his company Ineos that would buy us and we'd be operated like any other business operation. Fuck knows if that'd be better than PE, fuck knows if we'd be given as much money as UAE owners would provide. But at this moment in time I'm just going to dream about the Glazers not being the owners.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

My initial thoughts... is he rich enough? You're looking at 5-7bn to buy the club, the debt and rebuild or redevelop Old Trafford. His net worth is around 15bn - so it's doubtful.

Are Ineos rich enough? They turn over 60bn dollars yearly - so yeah. But how is that going to work, are there shareholders? Is it an investment wanting a return?

Secondly the fact he grew up a United - he'll still run it as a business which will bring him into conflict with fans cos that individual owner vs fan relationship can never be fully reconciled cos they have different motives and objectives. This is the fundamental problem with privatised football clubs / community assets.

But yeah, of all the vultures circling United Ratcliffe is better than most. If a state is involved in the bidding though, I wouldn't be surprised if he got blown out of the water.