Will the Glazers sell?

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

How are INEOS viewed by the Nice fans?
More from ESPN'S Julien Laurens on The Transfer Show:

"The relationship with the Nice fans has been a bit up and down.

"The Nice fans, especially the Ultras are hard to please.

"It will be the same with the United fans if Ratcliffe takes over, the expectation when he took over at Nice was huge.

"Suddenly they thought they could compete with PSG and the Qatari money. They thought they'd be able to compete with Marseille, their rivals, but it hasn't happened.

So, at times it was good, and they reached a cup final, for example last summer, which they lost, but still, there was a lot of people asking: 'Is that it?' The expectations were higher than what Ratcliffe bought.

The fans were on board, then they doubted, then they were back on board, but they haven't always understood the project and the direction. Dave Brailsford then came in and he's not really a football man, which the fans didn't understand.

"It's been a mixed relationship between Ratcliffe, his team and the Nice fans."
bman2
Legend

It’s hard to know. His ownership of Nice doesn’t seem to have done much for that club. But his plans might have changed. The French league turned into a bit of a shit show after he bought in, losing the league’s broadcast rights and all that. Then he bid for Chelsea. So he might have had bigger plans for Nice then pulled back because the league want worth a big investment.

I’d prefer him to Saudi Arabia, no question. From a practical perspective, being bought by a company like Apple or Amazon would probably lead to the best results, because those kinds of companies don’t fuck about, they’ll get results. But it would also be a bit soul-sucking probably for the club to just be a branch of some mega corporation.

In terms of on-pitch results, I reckon the Saudis or Apple/Amazon would be best (no idea if such companies are actually interested though, might be total bollocks). Morally, Saudis the worst of the mooted buyers, so bad for me at least, that I’d have to question whether I could keep supporting the club.

I’d be worried that the scale of United’s purchase price and needed investments might be too much for a company like Ratcliff’s: yeah they could afford to spend close to ten billion to buy the club, pay off its debts, and renovate its facilities, but does that make sense for them?
bman2
Legend

Honestly if I had to pick from all the potential buyers that have been suggested in the press (and I’ve no idea how real any of those rumours are) I think I’d go for Apple. Whatever they get involved in, they look to redefine it. So not only would they want United to win, they’d also want to demonstrate that the experience of supporting United is better than any other club. They’d give it the best fucking stadium and facilities, and make it really easy to watch the games anywhere in the world. Tie ins with stuff they already have like Beats and Ted Lasso might be corny, but far better than fucking Aon, TeamViewer or whatever the fuck else we’ve had.
dozer
Legend

Where is the apple and amazon talk coming from? Are there any reports saying they've bid?
swampash
Legend

Just hope it's not the Saudis...
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

dozer wrote: 1 year ago Where is the apple and amazon talk coming from? Are there any reports saying they've bid?
Their names were mentioned in the media when the Glazers announced their plans to sell.

There's an issue there around broadcast rights. Amazon show Prem games, and Apple probably will at some point. If you remember the Rupert Murdoch takeover was axed because of a conflict of interest and I believe a lack of competition. So that could rear its head again.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

If anyone can find the ripped article that's not locked by a paywall please post

Judging by the snippets United are more fucked than previously thought. The wages Ed set are killing us, so the new 200k limit is one out of dire necessity.

The club is tanking and Glazers are getting out before it sinks. A new owner is needed asap.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

We're potless. And worse is brewing. The speed and choice of ownership change will be material to our future.
dozer
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 year ago

If anyone can find the ripped article that's not locked by a paywall please post

Judging by the snippets United are more fucked than previously thought. The wages Ed set are killing us, so the new 200k limit is one out of dire necessity.

The club is tanking and Glazers are getting out before it sinks. A new owner is needed asap.
Use archive.ph

Link for article
https://archive.ph/3oLyo
fat maradona
Legend

Lots of the pay per click rags reporting that a deal is imminent with a £4bn offer tabled, even though the leaches want £6bn and won't budge.