Will the Glazers sell?

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 months ago The rumours are obviously all bollocks. Apple is a tech company and these guys don't buy sports teams. Or anything outside of tech.
No, companies like Apple and Amazon want to lock down entertainment content that makes people subscribe or buy their products. But I do think it would make a lot more sense for Apple to buy exclusive rights for the PL or CL or whatever, instead of one particular team. There’s so much nonsense written every day about Apple and Unites because it guarantees hits, so a story that combines them is an inevitable Everest of Bollocks.

We all know we’re going to get taken over by some wanker private equity company.
Felwin
First Teamer

Sorry but those of you who are so desperate to see United back at the top at *almost* any cost have got it all wrong in my eyes.

I must've had this debate with one of my best mates a hundred times (city fan). You can call the Glazers out on a million things. They represent everything disgusting about modern capitalism and the way in which they were not only allowed but facilitated by the government and footballing bodies of our coutntry was just despicable. They were allowed to pluck the greatest footballing and one of the greatest cultural institutions of the UK off the shelf and use it like a bin bag. Parasites. Leeches. It's tired but it's just true.

But you simply can't compare what they're guilty of to the actual human suffering, denial of dignity, torture, slavery and a whole raft of other medieval shit that Abu Dhabi, the Saudis and Qatar are up to. You just can't. My mate's argument is always "yeah but the Glazers support Trump and he's worse than the UAE..." Well yeah, he's a cunt as well. But the american political system has two parties and there's only one that literally ALL the cunts support, so it's not surprising that they back him is it? They'd back whoever was the Republican of the day.

Of course I'm also aware that there are no squeaky clean billionaires out there. And certainly no squeaky clean consortiums. But if it's Bezos or Apple (which I think is highly unlikely personally - why have a club when you can just own the entire sport/market?) or any PIF of a dictatorship, I'm gone. End of. The only thing keeping me here is a bit of nostalgia and the fact we still manage to just about stick to the youth policy even in the worst of times. The rest, it's just shit. The game is shit. It doesn't really bring us together anymore. I'd much rather watch a smaller club struggling away and feel like it all means something.
Fuck the Glazers wrote: 2 months agoI want United's success to be all United's, not part-funded by a state who'd give us 2/3bn to buy players, pay wages and build facilities the club couldn't afford otherwise. I want it to be genuine, not come with asterisks.
This is where I am. It's unrealistic but it has to be the aim. What happened to us having principles? Red lines we just don't cross? You never hear people talking like that these days. I was one of the ones mocking the FCUMers back in the day but I almost wish I'd had the guts as well now.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 months ago The rumours are obviously all bollocks. Apple is a tech company and these guys don't buy sports teams. Or anything outside of tech.
It makes a lot of sense. They're keen to get into digital media and streaming - they've launched their own Apple TV channel but it hasn't really taken off I believe. If they wanted in on TV broadcasting rights, we'd be a very smart strategic choice.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Thinking about it, this is a pivotal time for English football. The two biggest most successful clubs are up for the sale at the same time. It's unprecedented. Medium and small clubs like Chelsea, City and Newcastle being bought and turned into projects is one thing but the jewels in the crown of English and European football is another.

What happens from here will be massive. The Saudis also said in that interview they're interested in Liverpool. It's possible that both clubs could become sportwashing projects. That would be brutally sad. It could damage English football for a long time - at a crucial time when football is basically in decline.
fat maradona
Legend

Apparently Beckham and his cohorts are interested
Jason
Star Man

fat maradona wrote: 2 months ago Apparently Beckham and his cohorts are interested
I was at the CL Milan game where he picked up the green and gold scarf - seems like a lifetime ago!

You'd have to think he'd have the clubs best interests at heart - but at same time its probably a private equity based bid with him at the front, would he have much actual power? Think I'd rather have Ratcliffe.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Jason wrote: 2 months ago
fat maradona wrote: 2 months ago Apparently Beckham and his cohorts are interested
I was at the CL Milan game where he picked up the green and gold scarf - seems like a lifetime ago!

You'd have to think he'd have the clubs best interests at heart - but at same time its probably a private equity based bid with him at the front, would he have much actual power? Think I'd rather have Ratcliffe.
Yeah I would imagine PE would love a frontman like Beckham to deflect attention away from themselves. It's the perfect cover. Class of 92 and all that bollocks again.
bman2
Legend

Might prefer Beckham, in particular because he’s younger and hungrier.he has excellent contacts in world football too, so you’d think the club could recruit top talent in the senior roles, DoF etc.
swampash
Legend

Isn’t he also a Qatari sports ambassador?
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

swampash wrote: 2 months ago Isn’t he also a Qatari sports ambassador?
Good spot. He's being paid in the region of 10m to push Qatar. From what I gather it's not just for the world cup, it's a longer standing deal.

Edit - just read on the Athletic it's 12m a year deal for 3 years with options to extend. He has a good relationship with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi.

I wonder if part of his job role is to land United for them. If so, money well spent.