Maguire

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago I’ve always thought Maguire was an ok player who got famous because he’s English (which happens a lot). But getting booed by the England fans is shitty, and he’s done well for England.

But the pundits talking about how well he played against Ivory Coast… FFS an international friendly against an African team at the business end of the season. That’s how players like English players like Maguire get overhyped in the first place.
Jose when he did punditry said he had begged United to sign Maguire and also praised the James signing.
He was quite highly regarded, even here before we signed him.
My point is he was highly rated until he joined United.
He's done well for England and he's got the talent so I think it's a confidence issue for the player. Any human would probably struggle with this tbf, although I'd want more mental strength from a 80m signing.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Blowing up Maguire, that's a bit fucking excessive :)) :)) :))

What a fucking bad signing he was, seriously, paying 80m n all... The club need to stop this bullshit cos it's not fair on the players either. His mental health must be in the gutter. What's happening to him, and what happened Jones tbf, is life changing abuse. I'm guilty of it n all. The spotlight at United is too big and pressure too much. Take him out the firing line before someone blows him ffs :))
fat maradona
Legend

A shite performance from the big lump last night, I think his confidence is shot to pieces and I wouldn't want him starting for us with this current form. If we don't buy, we should be promoting the yoot.
bman2
Legend

I slated Maguire from the moment we signed him. Unfortunately, I was too optimistic.

Ole's captain.
fat maradona
Legend

Looks like he will be the captain this season too.

As much as I hate this decision, you have to hope that ETH knows what he’s doing.
FuB
Site Admin

fat maradona wrote: 1 year ago Looks like he will be the captain this season too.

As much as I hate this decision, you have to hope that ETH knows what he’s doing.
It's a concern because, in his presser, ten Hag said (about Maguire) "he has achieved a lot of success" and i'm struggling to understand exactly what success Maguire has achieved. Does anyone here know?
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

FuB wrote: 1 year ago
fat maradona wrote: 1 year ago Looks like he will be the captain this season too.

It's a concern because, in his presser, ten Hag said (about Maguire) "he has achieved a lot of success" and i'm struggling to understand exactly what success Maguire has achieved. Does anyone here know?
Landing a massive contract at a big club when you're shite? That's not really an achievement at United tbf. Making the finals of the euros is probably his greatest feat.

On a serious note this is worrying. Hopefully Ten Hag isn't bowing to the internal politics already.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

What else can he do? He's got a bunch of shitty decisions and challenges to work through and I think he has to start from the premise of giving everyone a chance. If he changes it now, that's actually quite a big call - with Ronnie going, the only other option he's got is De Gea. Its not like he's awash with Captain types. Its pure optics - if he gives Maguire the armband now and he has another disastrous campaign, he'll be out of the type and will lose the armband anyway. If he changes it now, it risks creating drama from the outset and Maguire is clearly a fragile character - as is the squad.

Publicly he has to throw his weight behind his players, especially with our shambolic approach in the market. Judge the calls he makes over time, not on the basis of what he's saying in the press now.
bman2
Legend

Yeah I sympathise with TH because you have to say certain things in public. But the overall direction this summer is dogshit. No signings so far except for some cheap young LB. Ronaldo predictably leaving but the club and the manager claiming he’s not. Maguire as captain and Ronaldo staying aren’t compatible positions, and everyone knows it, but TH has just said he wants both things.

Meanwhile all of the signings we are attempting at the new manager’s own preferences. So if TH doesn’t last long as manager, which is likely, the next manager might not have any interest.

It’s the same old shit. The club just bets everything on the new manager being the magic solution to every problem. This club is fucked while the Glazers own it. They’re never going to hire experienced professionals to run the club.

Watch how Spurs and Newcastle leave us in their dust over the next few seasons, with sensible, gradual squad-building signings.