Sir Alex Ferguson undergoes emergency operation

Manchester United chat
User avatar
Jason
Star Man
Posts: 658
Joined: 9 years ago



Wasn't really sure where to put this, but saw this on twitter today, We all know how good he was, but just something about this graphic speaks volumes.

In 26 years he finished outside the top 2 only 7 times. Looking after the 1st 5 years period, it was 3 times outside the top 2 in 21 years.

Will never be repeated.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 7823
Joined: 9 years ago

To do it at the same club n all rather than different clubs / projects that are nearly the finished thing.

And to build em up from the lower half of the table.

He has to be the greatest ever. The only managers that could even get close to that now would be at doped clubs.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 4116
Joined: 9 years ago

Sid wrote: 5 months ago To do it at the same club n all rather than different clubs / projects that are nearly the finished thing.

And to build em up from the lower half of the table.

He has to be the greatest ever. The only managers that could even get close to that now would be at doped clubs.
If you managed PSG for 20 years it would be easy enough :))
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 4116
Joined: 9 years ago

jason_uk wrote: 5 months ago

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but saw this on twitter today, We all know how good he was, but just something about this graphic speaks volumes.

In 26 years he finished outside the top 2 only 7 times. Looking after the 1st 5 years period, it was 3 times outside the top 2 in 21 years.

Will never be repeated.
If he'd been given the Ronaldo money to spend on a replacement, he'd obviously have won in 2010 and 2012 as well. What a monstrous final run that would have been. 7 titles in a row I think?
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 2776
Joined: 9 years ago

A legend. The greatest ever, no doubt.

But....

He also did fuck all to oppose the Glazers takeover, for which the door was opened because he had a falling out about a fucking horse.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 7823
Joined: 9 years ago

Yeah that's a good point. The Ron money disappearing was the start of the "no value" era aka enforced austerity by the Glazers which led to a drastically underfunded period. This while we were still competiting against doped clubs like Chelsea who were well established and City who won their first title in that time (cos our standards had dropped).

16m for Tony Valencia and Michael Owen on a free in order to replace the best player in the world

The fact Fergie took on the doped clubs in that period, under those austerity conditions, and beat them to major honours has to be one of his best achievements
User avatar
OliverB
Reserves
Posts: 70
Joined: 2 years ago

David Moyes will be the person I blame the most for our demise,

The way he came in, totally cleared out all the staff who had just been so successful, he literally tried to fix something that wasn't broken all because he wanted to do it his own way. a clever manager would have slowly made adjustments, not Davey, he believed the hype that overachieving with Everton somehow made him a messiah. You could also argue that players who have won Premier League titles will struggle to be motivated by a manager who hasn't won anything.

Fergie had an attitude but he demanded respect from his players, the staff he had working alongside him brought something to the management team and most of all I can't have seen him saying 'We'll make an offer for this player and then give him stupid wages' which would upset the rest of the squad.

I would genuinely be happy with mid table finishes if we could go back to having a team who left the football pitch having just put in every ounce of effort their bodies could give, I miss those days, now-a-days the majority of the team are only here for the money.
;)
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 2950
Joined: 9 years ago

OliverB wrote: 3 months ago David Moyes will be the person I blame the most for our demise,

The way he came in, totally cleared out all the staff who had just been so successful, he literally tried to fix something that wasn't broken all because he wanted to do it his own way. a clever manager would have slowly made adjustments, not Davey, he believed the hype that overachieving with Everton somehow made him a messiah. You could also argue that players who have won Premier League titles will struggle to be motivated by a manager who hasn't won anything.

Fergie had an attitude but he demanded respect from his players, the staff he had working alongside him brought something to the management team and most of all I can't have seen him saying 'We'll make an offer for this player and then give him stupid wages' which would upset the rest of the squad.

I would genuinely be happy with mid table finishes if we could go back to having a team who left the football pitch having just put in every ounce of effort their bodies could give, I miss those days, now-a-days the majority of the team are only here for the money.
Fergie did pay uber high wages to the top players. Its the mediocre players he didn't overpay.
Post Reply