Forum upgrade and changes

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Could be time for Ed to ditch Rant and rebrand it as the NQAT Forum. Ditch the toxicity and negativity associated with Rant - a bit like how Reddit has had to change over the years to leave the racism, incels etc behind. The internet isn't the wild west anymore. You can go to jail for racism & abuse. Ditch some of these horrible old threads n all. Will definitely get some new members then. Despite twitter, FB etc forums are still consitently popular.
OliverB
Reserves

The problem with rebranding is that people can use the 'wayback machine' website to bring up all the old posts still, in the same way as when a celebrity deletes a Tweet 10 years ago and yet a screenshot of that Tweet somehow pops up years later, so literally anything you rebrand to will end up being tarred with the same brush once people start looking deeper.

Starting a completely fresh forum under the NQAT brand I think would be a big hit though, if RedCafe is the biggest United forum out there - then a forum that doesn't make new members spend ages posting in daft forums until they can post in the main forum should attract more members, worth keeping in mind that the busier the forum the more hosting costs etc, probably why RedCafe doesn't have avatars or signatures.

FB and Twitter are popular but for me I miss the simplicity of forums, if it's organised you can find exactly what you want in minutes even if it was posted 10 years ago, with FB and Twitter you can't find old topics so easily,

With a forum you can also sell advertising space on the forum to cover hosting costs etc, you can say you don't want any of those ads that affect page loading times and slow down peoples phones, you can place them where you want and in places that members don't find intrusive, you can even show ads just to people who are not logged in - which encourages them to sign up ;)
;)
FuB
Site Admin

Oh goody, we've got another one who wants to sell the forum to advertisers. Should have been clear from his initial attempt to advertise for a clothing store on here.

@Oliver B - i would suggest you take advantage of the fact that this forum has all of it's skeletons still hanging out of the closet and you don't need to use the wayback machine to understand the general ethos of the forum. It shouldn't take long before you discover that no one here would want to sell their Rant soul and neither would the owner, Ed.

@Sid - I snipped your post and emailed it to Ed but he's pretty hard to get hold of at the best of times being the busy man he is. I'd be happy to go along with that as an idea but i'd be totally against the idea of wiping the slate clean and removing years of content in some sort of forum-washing exercise. I'm certain that wasn't your thinking either.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

What’s going on with the forum then? Do I need to save it again? 😂🤦🏻
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
FuB
Site Admin

brianofnazarethffs wrote: 1 year ago What’s going on with the forum then? Do I need to save it again? 😂🤦🏻
Can you save it from the advertisers, money makers and people who want to challenge Red Cafe Bri? You could be our only hope!
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

FuB wrote: 1 year ago
brianofnazarethffs wrote: 1 year ago What’s going on with the forum then? Do I need to save it again? 😂🤦🏻
Can you save it from the advertisers, money makers and people who want to challenge Red Cafe Bri? You could be our only hope!

Do I have to speak with Ed? I’m sure I’ve got him on Twitter? Do you know his @ on there?

NQAT's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
FuB
Site Admin

brianofnazarethffs wrote: 1 year ago
FuB wrote: 1 year ago

Do I have to speak with Ed? I’m sure I’ve got him on Twitter? Do you know his @ on there?
To be honest, i can't be arsed with twitter but his twitter link is at the bottom of every page where i put it.

I've been talking to him on email for the last few days anyway, mate.
OliverB
Reserves

I have noticed in the last 2 days that as soon as a I make a post - I get logged out.

It doesn't happen every single time though and if I log back in I seem to get immediately logged back out.

I remember from running a forum years ago that there was a script that would end sessions after x minutes to save bandwidth but if it was that I think it would have been happening before the last 2 days.
;)
dozer
Legend

Odd. I think it's just affecting you Oliver
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

OliverB wrote: 1 year ago I have noticed in the last 2 days that as soon as a I make a post - I get logged out.

It doesn't happen every single time though and if I log back in I seem to get immediately logged back out.

I remember from running a forum years ago that there was a script that would end sessions after x minutes to save bandwidth but if it was that I think it would have been happening before the last 2 days.

I’m not getting that either mate.