Other Teams' Stuff

Non-United football chat
swampash
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 month ago Bayern Munich are in advanced talks with Burnley over the shock appointment of Vincent Kompany as their new coach.

Didn't see that coming. But then there is a dearth of elite managers so I guess they're trying a different approach.
Interesting... :eatpopcorn:
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Chelsea are in talks to appoint Leicester City manager Enzo Maresca as the replacement for Mauricio Pochettino.

Where is Di Zerbi going then?

Mad transfer window so far. Kompany taking over at Bayern.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

The Times are reporting that City have launched legal action against the Prem over the 'fair market value' rule which says clubs must sign sponsorship deals that are roughly at market rate. It's to stop state clubs giving themselves outrageous sponsorships deals to dope their clubs.

It's the UAE / Citys way of hitting back at the Prem for the 115 charges.

The whole thing is fucked, the Prem is fucked

https://www.sportbible.com/football/foo ... 9-20240604
Felwin
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 month ago The Times are reporting that City have launched legal action against the Prem over the 'fair market value' rule which says clubs must sign sponsorship deals that are roughly at market rate. It's to stop state clubs giving themselves outrageous sponsorships deals to dope their clubs.

Drag the process out. Obfuscate. Control the narrative. Has power ever acted any other way when seriously questioned?

The same tactic as with UEFA. Throw enough doubt into the mix that the wider public think both the Prem AND City are corrupt, thus making their corruption ok. Only saving grace is no CAS this time as it's an internal matter. Whether Abu Dhabi could then sue due to some combination of "damaged reputation" and "loss of earnings" if the Prem were to do the right thing and strip titles/relegate City, remains to be seen.

I still think they'll wriggle their way out of it and in 20-30 years people will talk about them like the great Liverpool and United sides, without the asterisks that are so important to the reality. Sickening but what are you gonna do?
Jason
Star Man

Felwin wrote: 1 month ago
Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 month ago The Times are reporting that City have launched legal action against the Prem over the 'fair market value' rule which says clubs must sign sponsorship deals that are roughly at market rate. It's to stop state clubs giving themselves outrageous sponsorships deals to dope their clubs.

Drag the process out. Obfuscate. Control the narrative. Has power ever acted any other way when seriously questioned?

The same tactic as with UEFA. Throw enough doubt into the mix that the wider public think both the Prem AND City are corrupt, thus making their corruption ok. Only saving grace is no CAS this time as it's an internal matter. Whether Abu Dhabi could then sue due to some combination of "damaged reputation" and "loss of earnings" if the Prem were to do the right thing and strip titles/relegate City, remains to be seen.

I still think they'll wriggle their way out of it and in 20-30 years people will talk about them like the great Liverpool and United sides, without the asterisks that are so important to the reality. Sickening but what are you gonna do?

The kicker to it all is then claiming damages.

The brass neck of them.

But like you say, it's about creating doubt over the charges, and they can outlawyer anyone, which in essence means they will likely get their way in the end, however long it takes.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

This is good. The noise in the off season around City's cheating and now threats is getting louder and is potentially damaging any sportwashing aims. I can see them getting out soon.

https://x.com/sportingintel/status/1798619434292326755
Felwin
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 month ago This is good. The noise in the off season around City's cheating and now threats is getting louder and is potentially damaging any sportwashing aims. I can see them getting out soon.

https://x.com/sportingintel/status/1798619434292326755
That really is a quality little run down of how shite their behaviour has been. Don’t share your optimism about Abu Dhabi getting out though. They’ll be throwing their whole weight behind controlling the narrative in the next 12 months.
Felwin
Legend

Also I’m not sure how many of you saw this but it’s the most fucking typical thing you’d expect. All the state backed clubs sticking together. Pipe dream I know, but could you imagine the other 16 clubs just saying “right, fuck them, we’re not playing until they’re booted out”. It’d never happen but it’s probably the jolt the PL would need to take it back from the brink of becoming a private league for rich dictators to wave their dicks about in.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/ ... paper-talk
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Felwin wrote: 1 month ago Also I’m not sure how many of you saw this but it’s the most fucking typical thing you’d expect. All the state backed clubs sticking together. Pipe dream I know, but could you imagine the other 16 clubs just saying “right, fuck them, we’re not playing until they’re booted out”. It’d never happen but it’s probably the jolt the PL would need to take it back from the brink of becoming a private league for rich dictators to wave their dicks about in.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/ ... paper-talk
Totally. The UAE and Saudi have public investment funds of around 1trn each. If they're allowed to dip into those (which is what they want with these latest demands), the league is fucked. Equally if City get their wish and the Prem ditches the 1 club 1 vote rule, it'd become a dictatorship of 1/2 state clubs who'd rule over the rest.

The Prem have the legal power to kick them out cos such moves threaten its stability. But that won't happen cos of the trade deals (including massive investment in one of our leaking nuclear power plants) which the UAE are now threatening to axe.

Also experts reckon the Prem can't afford a legal case with City aka the UAE state. It's rich but not that rich. The Prem itself has questionable power too cos it's essentially just a private members club that's run and governed by the members aka each club.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

We know City have been talking to the gov about the charges, so for me City's comments / legal threats are a warning shot to the incoming labour government that they're prepared to pull investment from the country if they don't get their demands met, demands which entirely benefit them and will destroy the stability and fairness of the Prem. It's a big power grab that was inevitable when you let autocratic monarchical states buy clubs.