Erik Ten Hag

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 10026
Joined: 10 years ago

dozer wrote: 2 months ago If they sack key staff like hag after one bad season then they're no different from the other owners. Repeat the moronic thing every season, because this time "we'll get the right manager" .
Yeah that's true in general. But if the manager is clearly wrong eg his football is ineffective then there's no point in persevering. Moyes, Jose, Ole - there was no point in carrying on with them because it's not going to win you a title.
User avatar
Jason
Star Man
Posts: 832
Joined: 10 years ago

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 2 months ago
dozer wrote: 2 months ago If they sack key staff like hag after one bad season then they're no different from the other owners. Repeat the moronic thing every season, because this time "we'll get the right manager" .
Yeah that's true in general. But if the manager is clearly wrong eg his football is ineffective then there's no point in persevering. Moyes, Jose, Ole - there was no point in carrying on with them because it's not going to win you a title.

Also if they are putting in new footballing structure/vision, and ETH doesn't fit or align with where they see the club going, then what's point in keeping him?

I'd back what you were saying if he was an ineos appt.

Not to say I want rid of ETH, but we were shit 1st half this season, if he pulls it back second half then fine. If we continue to be shit, then it needs looked at, but I'd not sack him until we have dof and all those positions filled 1st of all.
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1454
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

I wouldn't sack him but I'm also pretty pissed off with his inability to get a few results in when we needed them. Maybe I'm asking him to polish a turd but still.

Like Jason, I reckon it will have much more to do with their vision, which is why I think he's toast either way... unless we make top 4 and win the FA Cup in which case he might save himself for a bit. A start like this season under new, ambitious owners though and he'll be gone.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 10026
Joined: 10 years ago

We've got one game a week now which means Hag & the players will actually have some time to work on tactics, shape, roles etc as opposed to rest days. So we might see his imprint on the team. Might not as well like. But as a theory it makes sense.
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1454
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 2 months ago We've got one game a week now which means Hag & the players will actually have some time to work on tactics, shape, roles etc as opposed to rest days. So we might see his imprint on the team. Might not as well like. But as a theory it makes sense.
If we were going to see it, we would've seen it by now. I expect more of the same. With that 11 from Thursday/yesterday, we'll give any team a decent run for their money, but we will also concede chances.

Better managers will target Casemiro and flood our midfield. Mainoo is good, but he's not 3 players on his own. We'll struggle against Villa, City next month, probably drop stupid points here and there against shit teams too. FA Cup could be a nice getaway.

As long as Hag steadies the ship, does well in the Cup and beats the scousers at our place to put a dint in their title challenge, that'll do for me. Still think it won't be enough to save his job though.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 10026
Joined: 10 years ago

This is bad:

#MUFC allowed Luton 72 “transition opportunities” - 3rd-highest total for a team in a PL game this season.

Casemiro’s level/team structure a factor. He has been dribbled past 2.9 times per 90 in 23/24 (2nd most for PL players) - up from 2.08 last term ⬇️

https://x.com/lauriewhitwell/status/175 ... 81055?s=20
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 4130
Joined: 10 years ago

United have allowed 435 shots on our goal so far this season. The only team who've allowed more are Sheff Utd. That's got to be on the manager. Teams are averaging 17-21 shots on our goal every game.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 10026
Joined: 10 years ago

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 month ago United have allowed 435 shots on our goal so far this season. The only team who've allowed more are Sheff Utd. That's got to be on the manager. Teams are averaging 17-21 shots on our goal every game.
That's an absolutely fucking mad stat. The fact we've conceded so few goals is also mind boggling.

It's so poor. We've basically gone into the season without a midfield - even though we have 3 midfielders on the pitch in most games.
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1454
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 month ago That's an absolutely fucking mad stat. The fact we've conceded so few goals is also mind boggling.
Clearly because we have a world class keeper.
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 3941
Joined: 10 years ago

Felwin wrote: 2 months ago
Fuck the Glazers wrote: 2 months ago We've got one game a week now which means Hag & the players will actually have some time to work on tactics, shape, roles etc as opposed to rest days. So we might see his imprint on the team. Might not as well like. But as a theory it makes sense.
If we were going to see it, we would've seen it by now. I expect more of the same. With that 11 from Thursday/yesterday, we'll give any team a decent run for their money, but we will also concede chances.

Better managers will target Casemiro and flood our midfield. Mainoo is good, but he's not 3 players on his own. We'll struggle against Villa, City next month, probably drop stupid points here and there against shit teams too. FA Cup could be a nice getaway.

As long as Hag steadies the ship, does well in the Cup and beats the scousers at our place to put a dint in their title challenge, that'll do for me. Still think it won't be enough to save his job though.
I think Solskjaer has been our best post Fergie manager far.
He was consistently good for 3 seasons and he got fired in his fourth, ie his first bad season.
The players didn't perform consistently, some for a decade or more but the manager gets the sack in his first poor season.

Imo the club should look at the environment like Ratcliffe says and look at how Ten Hag works behind the scenes.
So far it looks like the club wants the manager to do everything. Once Ineos get the staff they need, and they eventually get time to decide how the club should play football, they can review Ten Hag's work, give feedback and give him a chance to incorporate the feedback. I mean, everyone's work needs to be reviewed. Look at the referees. They don't seem to answer to any other entity and no independent body reviews their work, and the refereeing body is so shit. Everything they do is done internally.

The manager is key staff, like the CEO, CFO etc and no company can do business by sacking their key staff so frequently.
Especially at United, we've hired the biggest names as manager and they've failed and even done worse than Ole who wasn't a big name manager.
The fans acknowledge this but they eventually end up crying for the manager's head whilst still making occasional mentions of the manager not being helped by the club.
This reminds of AFTV where they kept screaming Wenger out although they made passing mentions that the club not giving him the budget of other title winning clubs being the real problem. The manager out cries are always a lot louder, especially after matchday

I was called a troll for saying hold on to the Ten Hag praise last season and that it's premature. Even this criticism of Hag is premature.
Give him time when he does well and just acknowledge and critique his recent results. Do the same when he does poorly.
Don't overreact and extrapolate.
Post Reply