Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

I'm still anti Greenwood coming back. With domestic abuse, it's not uncommon for the appearance of happy families to return. On average a victim goes back 7 times before they leave - if they ever do. So it's not necessarily over for me, and he's not necessarily learned his lesson. As far as I know he's done no DV courses and no therapy.

I wouldn't be surprised if more abuse comes out in the future. By then he could be on 400k a week and our main CF. Then we'd have an even bigger problem.

We need to learn our lesson with Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba. Loads of players come with shit attached. Addiction, rock n roll lifestyles, abuse etc. Fergie stayed away for a reason.
dozer
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 3 months ago I'm still anti Greenwood coming back. With domestic abuse, it's not uncommon for the appearance of happy families to return. On average a victim goes back 7 times before they leave - if they ever do. So it's not necessarily over for me, and he's not necessarily learned his lesson. As far as I know he's done no DV courses and no therapy.

I wouldn't be surprised if more abuse comes out in the future. By then he could be on 400k a week and our main CF. Then we'd have an even bigger problem.

We need to learn our lesson with Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba. Loads of players come with shit attached. Addiction, rock n roll lifestyles, abuse etc. Fergie stayed away for a reason.
Yeah. Get rid of established cunts. It's the easiest decision to mKe. It's hard to avoid new discoveries in player behaviour so if Antony had committed those crimes then it's hard to blame the club. I don't care if Greenwood has learnt his lesson or not. His crime was too big. Anyway, he's already gotten his second chance from his partner and by Getafe. He's still making bucket loads of money.

Someone made the point about trial by social media and I agree. But in the case of Greenwood, it looks like he committed the crime and he himself said that "mistakes were made" in his statement. That looks like an indirect admission because he can't admit it outright without going to prison. This is why the likes of Antony shouldn't receive the same treatment. He's not been found guilty and there isn't much to go by at least from the perspective of the public. His crime is that he's a 2p player.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Its a bit 'Football Manager' is this, but here are several players I'd like to see us go for (not all, obviously). All PL proven/tested, all at a decent age, all at clubs where even in our state they'd see it as a step up, and all should be gettable for reasonable (in PL terms) fees:

Morgan Gibbs-White. Especially if Forest go down. Only 23, excellent potential and already a good player, could play on either the left or right of a front 3.
Lucas Pacqueta and Jarrod Bowen. Only 26 and 27, so now's the time if they're ever going to make a big move.
Douglas Luiz. 25 years old, has broken into the Brazil squad and only 2 years left on his current deal.
Evan Ferguson - Cracking prospect but wouldn't be cheap. Danny Welbeck is out of contract in the summer. I'd rather have him as backup than Martial. In fact, I wonder if there's a cheap deal to be done this Jan. Offer them £5m to do it now, I think it'd be decent value and I'm certain he'd come back, Evans-style.
Pedro Neto at Wolves. Tore us a new one, and looks a quality player. Him and Gibbs-White either side of Hojlund would transform our attack. Shift Bruno and Rashford on for big fees, add those 2 and Paqueta and you're talking a different level of side in my opinion.
Joao Paulinha. Cracking midfielder at Fulham, should be playing for a bigger club.
Guehi, Olise, Eze at Palace. All will be moving on to bigger clubs inside next 12 months.

There's plenty of talent to be had - these are the players we should be spending ~£50m on, not the likes of Casemiro or Mount.
Felwin
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 3 months ago Its a bit 'Football Manager' is this, but here are several players I'd like to see us go for (not all, obviously). All PL proven/tested, all at a decent age, all at clubs where even in our state they'd see it as a step up, and all should be gettable for reasonable (in PL terms) fees:

Morgan Gibbs-White. Especially if Forest go down. Only 23, excellent potential and already a good player, could play on either the left or right of a front 3.
Lucas Pacqueta and Jarrod Bowen. Only 26 and 27, so now's the time if they're ever going to make a big move.
Douglas Luiz. 25 years old, has broken into the Brazil squad and only 2 years left on his current deal.
Evan Ferguson - Cracking prospect but wouldn't be cheap. Danny Welbeck is out of contract in the summer. I'd rather have him as backup than Martial. In fact, I wonder if there's a cheap deal to be done this Jan. Offer them £5m to do it now, I think it'd be decent value and I'm certain he'd come back, Evans-style.
Pedro Neto at Wolves. Tore us a new one, and looks a quality player. Him and Gibbs-White either side of Hojlund would transform our attack. Shift Bruno and Rashford on for big fees, add those 2 and Paqueta and you're talking a different level of side in my opinion.
Joao Paulinha. Cracking midfielder at Fulham, should be playing for a bigger club.
Guehi, Olise, Eze at Palace. All will be moving on to bigger clubs inside next 12 months.

There's plenty of talent to be had - these are the players we should be spending ~£50m on, not the likes of Casemiro or Mount.
I honestly don't watch enough Premier League these days to judge many of them but I reckon it's almost always sensible to go for players who see us as a step up. You won't always strike gold but if their attitude doesn't stink, they'll be a good investment at the very least.

My worry is that it looks a bit like what Ole tried with Wan-Bissaka/Dan James and what Dalglish tried with the scousers when they bought Downing and Carroll. Targeting players in the league who see us as a big step up and should "know what it means to play for us" without really considering if they have the stones for it, not to mention the cool head and/or technical flair for those massive games in the Champions League.

Obviously ideally they'd learn all that on the job but then you need a good structure in place, leaders to look up to and a dressing room not half full of mercenaries. My worry is that changing that culture will take as long as the rest of some of the careers of some of the players you listed. So maybe we're better off targeting proven leaders in the short term in order to get the rest to buck their ideas up? I actually think this is behind Hag's thinking with a lot of his team selections when we had the most injuries. Maguire over Varane, McT getting gametime, initially cautious with Garnacho. A positive about him is that he understands that we need a certain commitment and attitude in the squad - or at least players that listen to him and do their doggies like Antony. Problem is that it's a really low bar at United and some of the better attitudes belong to players who have either stagnated or were never good enough in the first place.
swampash
Legend

Werner's gone to Spurs
:ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
Felwin
Legend

swampash wrote: 3 months ago Werner's gone to Spurs
Bullet dodged
dozer
Legend

Felwin wrote: 3 months ago
swampash wrote: 3 months ago Werner's gone to Spurs
Bullet dodged
Agreed. I have no idea why we were in for him, assuming those rumours were true.
fat maradona
Legend

He'd have been better than sicknote Tony who insists that he can still contribute this season.
swampash
Legend

Sancho off to Dortmund.
:ymparty:
Felwin
Legend

Hag has let us down in a lot of ways since he came to us and there's a chance some of his signings might have to be dealt with by his successor, but he's been really good at weeding out those who were signed before he came and are along for the ride. He's picked his battles and won them.

I know a lot of us would like to see him chuck out plenty of others but he has to be realistic. If he'd alienated certain players, it'd be politically over for him. I'm thinking Rashford and Bruno in particular, although Rashford got that slap on the wrist that started his purple patch.