Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
fat maradona
Legend

Protecting young players from the mental pressures is something that is shockingly neglected in this country. A couple of good games and we start labelling them as the next superstar, piling on the expectation, demanding the same performance week in week out. It's the fucking media I bet. Fergie was brilliant at shielding his yoot from the media glare but that was back in the 90's.
Felwin
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 3 months ago Protecting young players from the mental pressures is something that is shockingly neglected in this country. A couple of good games and we start labelling them as the next superstar, piling on the expectation, demanding the same performance week in week out. It's the fucking media I bet. Fergie was brilliant at shielding his yoot from the media glare but that was back in the 90's.
Completely agree. We have been spectacularly bad at it though. It's a double whammy with us too that was going on when Fergie was still in charge thanks to Glazernomics. Hyping up players with a mediocre (or at least not elite) ceiling.

Gibson, Macheda, Cleverley, Powell, Januzaj, McNair, Rashford, Lingard, Elanga. All chewed up and to some extent, spat out by the hype machine.

Hannibal, Garnacho and Mainoo hopefully not next on the block. Hannibal most likely as he looks a rung below the rest. Garnacho could still all go wrong. Mainoo seems too good but you never know.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

dozer wrote: 3 months ago
Fuck the Glazers wrote: 3 months ago On the issue of mega wages, they have to earn their money like Haaland, Salah and De Bruyne do by being consistently good to great if they want to be paid the same as them. That includes Rashford. He'll be on something similar but he's been shite for longer than he's been good. If it continues, get rid.

Wages are precious under FFP and as a non-doped club with over 1bn debt hanging over us, and a further 2bn for new infrastructure improvements, we can't afford to pay this level of wages and not get enough back.
It's been 9 years. How much longer should we wait for it to continue?
Stay calm, Dozer. I know Rashford is emotive for you.

He's 26 so I'd say give it a bit longer. Cos when he's good, he's great. He can go left or right from standing still, and can shoot with either foot. It's nearly undefendable, as is his pace. Few players have that. So it makes sense to hold onto him for longer than Antony.

And being at the start of a new era with a new plan, new investment and new expertise (hopefully), he's worth keeping cos he could shine in a better environment.

But don't give it too long because we've had a lot of false dawns. He'll be 28/29 when it's time for a new deal, and it'll be his biggest yet, so if he's not performing, get rid.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 3 months ago Protecting young players from the mental pressures is something that is shockingly neglected in this country. A couple of good games and we start labelling them as the next superstar, piling on the expectation, demanding the same performance week in week out. It's the fucking media I bet. Fergie was brilliant at shielding his yoot from the media glare but that was back in the 90's.
Totally. Also with Rashford and other players tbf he's been used & abused by desperate managers in need of a win or a goal to save their jobs. As well as a desperate club that's falling further behind. So he's been overplayed, and played while injured.

He should never have played when he fractured his back. But Ole was desperate, as was Mourinho who had him at right back, tackling, covering space. He was desperately packing the defence cos his football was ineffective.

Gaal needed goals as well cos we had no strikers, that's why he gambled on him.

As shit as he's been at times, he'd have flown at a solid, exciting club like City or Liverpool.

I also don't think the club did enough when he rattled the Tories cage, and the far right who were hammering him on social media and no doubt sending credible death threats
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

There's too much pressure sitting on the small amount of genuine quality that we have. Luis Diaz and Jadon Sancho's numbers for last season were identical - the difference is, Liverpool had Salah shitting goals, and the likes of Jota, Nunez, Gakpo all weighing in.

Look at how slowly Foden was drip fed into City's team.
dozer
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 3 months ago
dozer wrote: 3 months ago
Fuck the Glazers wrote: 3 months ago On the issue of mega wages, they have to earn their money like Haaland, Salah and De Bruyne do by being consistently good to great if they want to be paid the same as them. That includes Rashford. He'll be on something similar but he's been shite for longer than he's been good. If it continues, get rid.

Wages are precious under FFP and as a non-doped club with over 1bn debt hanging over us, and a further 2bn for new infrastructure improvements, we can't afford to pay this level of wages and not get enough back.
It's been 9 years. How much longer should we wait for it to continue?
Stay calm, Dozer. I know Rashford is emotive for you.

He's 26 so I'd say give it a bit longer. Cos when he's good, he's great. He can go left or right from standing still, and can shoot with either foot. It's nearly undefendable, as is his pace. Few players have that. So it makes sense to hold onto him for longer than Antony.

And being at the start of a new era with a new plan, new investment and new expertise (hopefully), he's worth keeping cos he could shine in a better environment.

But don't give it too long because we've had a lot of false dawns. He'll be 28/29 when it's time for a new deal, and it'll be his biggest yet, so if he's not performing, get rid.
I'm not emotional about Rashford ffs. I'm among the few here who's not. He's not playing well. He's not played well for 90% of his time here. That's a good reason to get rid.
I've also whined about us giving him that contract last season because he cleverly (and rightly) held out for a bumper contract because he knew we were stupid enough to give it to him on the back of a good 8/9 months.

Why should we wait till he's 29? That's what we did with Martial. We'll then conveniently blame club management for not getting rid of them earlier. But I very much remember ranters here saying the same about Martial and supporting a contract extention because he could be a good player.
Jason
Star Man

Wasn't going to start a new thread for bebe, but maybe fergie was right after all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68035284

Can't believe he's still playing, hadn't heard of him in about 10 years!
dozer
Legend

Exactly what I've been saying all these years.
If this is true, then the 16-17 players I listed in the summer window will all be booted out.
I'd be very happy if we didn't sign a single new player as long as we got rid of anyone who's not performed for a year.
I'd be happier if we signed new players obviously but even the former is a win.

Like I said, I could have been the head of United fora alot cheaper lol.
swampash
Legend

dozer wrote: 2 months ago

Exactly what I've been saying all these years.
If this is true, then the 16-17 players I listed in the summer window will all be booted out.
I'd be very happy if we didn't sign a single new player as long as we got rid of anyone who's not performed for a year.
I'd be happier if we signed new players obviously but even the former is a win.

Like I said, I could have been the head of United fora alot cheaper lol.
get in there dozer - they must have room for you...?
Felwin
Legend

Two coups in a week for Ratcliffe. First, Berrada from City. Second, Dozer from United Rant.