Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 3 months ago SJR's sweetener will help with FFP restrictions but it doesn't count until after the deal is ratified, which will be after the January window.

This MUST be the last window we endure where our thinking is limited to cheap, short term loans that are akin to sticking fingers in the dam. There has to be proper planning and clear progression in every window, such that in 2 years we're a credible side again, competing properly at the top level. That's doable, and it needs us to start planning and acting properly to avoid getting fleeced. And it means we'll need to play the out of contract market in the summer, and target players with 12 months left to drive decent deals at low cost, and pick up the stars from relegated teams - I said in the summer that the likes of Maddison and Ward-Prowse would have been much better deals than Mount, and Tielemanns should have been brought in on a free. Looking ahead to the summer and there are a couple of sensible, free options to prop the squad up. Not world beaters - we're not getting Mbappe, but the likes of Pablo Fornals (27 years old, so a decent age, 6 Spanish caps, knows the PL), Rabiot or Ndidi to add depth at DM, Eric Dier (Varane leaves with no fee, Dier comes in but as a backup and on half the salary etc). If you can shift the likes of Van De Beek, McTominay, Lindelof/Varane and generate somewhere in the region of £50m in transfer fees, you can actually strengthen AND generate some cash to do the bigger deals. It can be done, it just needs proper planning.

Then you look at who'll have 12 months left on their contracts come the summer. There are some serious, serious names in that mix but even if we're modest in our expectations, we could go after the likes of Jonathan David (23 years old, 57 goals in 127 games in the French league, he'd see it as a step up etc), Federico Chiesa, Mikel Merino, Kephren Thuram, Leon Bailey, Denzel Dumfries, Unai Simon, Youssef Fofana - all early to mid twenties, all full internationals, most are CL experienced. Again, just needs proper planning and proactive thinking.

Anyway, I see that Sancho looks to be off back to Dortmund on Loan. I hope we're digging our heels in; if we were serious about being a big club we'd make clear that any shortfall in the salary paid by Dortmund, Sancho has to sacrifice. Obviously risky in terms of the deal falling through and because we're potless, we're over a barrel - but we have to start resetting the culture and making clear that if you act the cunt, you kill your own career. You don't get to just take 3 months paid holiday and then fuck off with the club paying half your salary to play elsewhere. I realise I'm dreaming though.
Reading this just makes me think fans like us have a clearer idea of who to sign, how to improve and what direction to go in etc than the scouts, DoF and other useless twats.

On Sancho - totally, a cultural reset is needed and now is a good time to start. Ratcliffe & co are not in power yet but they arrived at OT today and can begin influencing proceedings. Like with Sancho, get tough with Dortmund like you say and get a deal that's good for us. It's essential in FFP times. Wages and revenues from player sales are vital, especially for a club in our state. Let's see some change ffs.
swampash
Legend

More suggestions today that we are looking at a loan deal for Timo Werner. Really hope we're not - he's a serial under-performer and I can't see him adding anything.
This season is a write off as far as top four is concerned and we're unlikely to get into a relegation battle, so my preference would be to use the rest of the season to get the measure of the current squad. Better to work out who is staying and who is going, which will only become apparent by rotating through various starting permutations from the existing squad rather than confusing matters by pulling in second rate loanees.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

So, it looks as though we have let Sancho go to Dortmund with them paying only a quarter of his wages. Its a missed opportunity to set an example on a wider basis, but I suppose the gamble the club is taking is that he goes back and recaptures his form, boosting his price tag for the summer. Right now, you'd be lucky to get 25m and we'd have to pay half his wages up, minimum. But if he lands well there - and he does know the environment - its probably nearer to £50m and many more suitors. Lets see if it pays off.

The forwards we're linked with are Choupo-Mouting, Muller, Guerasay and Werner. None of them do anything for me tbh. I'd rather give the likes of Hugill and McNeil some game time.
fat maradona
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 3 months ago So, it looks as though we have let Sancho go to Dortmund with them paying only a quarter of his wages. Its a missed opportunity to set an example on a wider basis, but I suppose the gamble the club is taking is that he goes back and recaptures his form, boosting his price tag for the summer. Right now, you'd be lucky to get 25m and we'd have to pay half his wages up, minimum. But if he lands well there - and he does know the environment - its probably nearer to £50m and many more suitors. Lets see if it pays off.

The forwards we're linked with are Choupo-Mouting, Muller, Guerasay and Werner. None of them do anything for me tbh. I'd rather give the likes of Hugill and McNeil some game time.
Or bring Greenwood back.
dozer
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 3 months ago So, it looks as though we have let Sancho go to Dortmund with them paying only a quarter of his wages.
So did he take a pay cut or are we paying him the remaining 75%?
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 3 months ago
JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 3 months ago So, it looks as though we have let Sancho go to Dortmund with them paying only a quarter of his wages. Its a missed opportunity to set an example on a wider basis, but I suppose the gamble the club is taking is that he goes back and recaptures his form, boosting his price tag for the summer. Right now, you'd be lucky to get 25m and we'd have to pay half his wages up, minimum. But if he lands well there - and he does know the environment - its probably nearer to £50m and many more suitors. Lets see if it pays off.

Or bring Greenwood back.
That wouldn't surprise me. And I'll be honest - and I realise I'm probably in the minority here - I'd have been prepared to support a scenario where he came back into the fold. That's not because he's a talented player and morals go out of the window, its because I have a big problem with the idea of trial by media and don't believe any of us really know what happened. I also believe that organisations such as ours can take the chance to support personal growth and develop players as human beings, not just as players, rather than jettisoning problematic issues elsewhere. That said, the whole situation was handled very badly.
swampash
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 3 months ago
Totally agree. Much better strategy than bringing in a load of has beens and serial under-performers.
swampash
Legend

Or bring Greenwood back.
That wouldn't surprise me. And I'll be honest - and I realise I'm probably in the minority here - I'd have been prepared to support a scenario where he came back into the fold. That's not because he's a talented player and morals go out of the window, its because I have a big problem with the idea of trial by media and don't believe any of us really know what happened. I also believe that organisations such as ours can take the chance to support personal growth and develop players as human beings, not just as players, rather than jettisoning problematic issues elsewhere. That said, the whole situation was handled very badly.
Well said; totally with you on that Joel.
fat maradona
Legend

Or bring Greenwood back.
I may have been in a very small minority at the time when I also suggested that organisations like ours had a responsibility to do this rather than ask the audience what they should do. People makes mistakes, it's how you educate and support them not to make them again.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

swampash wrote: 3 months ago
Totally agree. Much better strategy than bringing in a load of has beens and serial under-performers.
Same for me as well. Young players aren't tainted by the same toxic attitudes and stresses that the senior players are, as we see with Mainoo.

Also with FFP dominating everything now, especially a club as broke as United, selling academy players is a great way of making money and allowing more room to buy. Chelsea and City are leading the way in that regard. A few games will put academy kids in the shop window whilst allowing them to develop.

There's no point in signing any cunt for more than 6 months because everything is set to change. No big decisions that Ratcliffe & co are going to have to inherit. No new Ronaldos, Casemiros, Mullers for the love of god.