Erik Ten Hag

Manchester United chat
fat maradona
Legend
Posts: 1384
Joined: 10 years ago

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 3 months ago
Felwin wrote: 3 months ago International break coming up. Is Hag gone? Or are they waiting for Ratcliffe and/or the official nail in the european coffin when we lose to Galatasaray at the end of the month?
Do they have the money to sack him though. It'll be another 15/20m which we reportedly don't have.

But also a new manager means a new plan, which means buying more players - something we definitely can't afford to do.

If it gets really bad they'll have to act, and we might get a temporary manager in charge, an ex player or something. And we'll limp along until the Ratcliffe/ football side is sorted out.
A new manager and a new plan just confirms to the outside world how clueless the club is. Sponsors would get nervous, share price will fall etc. And no one worth hiring will want to come to United. They are best sticking with Hag. I don't want to hark back to the good old days but look how long it took Fergie to sort shit out. We're not in the sort of shape where a new man can come in and be successful because it requires a complete and full reset and restart,
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1381
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

You're all right, tbf. I just keep flip-flopping back and forth between "he's getting sacked" and "it makes no sense to sack him".

I think the point about us being in no shape to succeed is really important. With the sackings of Moyes/Gaal, we still believed we were a top club and should be competing for top honours, Jose lost the players when player power was probably at its' height (before Ronaldo), with Ole there was a feeling we should be doing much better with these players + having Ronaldo was seen to be a magic route to success.

I just can't shake the feeling that the club might act because it's the done thing. The longer it goes on, the more tempting the new manager bounce looks, especially because it worked wonders with Ole. Part of me could see Rooney taking up the mantle.
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 3972
Joined: 10 years ago

I have doubts, but we can't sack him. Anyone coming in will be faced with the same challenges, and it'll probably set us back. Some of his signings have been properly duff, and he needs help with recruitment. But take last night - each one of those 4 goals we conceded was down to individual players, or officials having brainfarts. its 2023, we've spent a billion in the last 10 years, and our back 4 is Bissaka, Maguire, Evans, Dalot. And Eriksen and McTominay in front.

The manager ain't fucking superman.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 9846
Joined: 10 years ago

Tbf, if we sack Hag, we might not be able to afford another top manager. Hag could be the last. Likewise top players. 300m of the 400m Hag has spent is on the the credit. It's still outstanding, so we haven't actually paid for them yet.

Since then Hag has been making do with loans and unemployed players.

So it could be downhill from here pretty quickly unless Ratcliffe puts his hand in his pocket. But he won't do that without a big say in recruitment cos if it's left to Arnold, Murtough, Joel etc he might as well set fire to 300m.
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 2893
Joined: 10 years ago

fat maradona wrote: 3 months ago
Fuck the Glazers wrote: 3 months ago
Felwin wrote: 3 months ago International break coming up. Is Hag gone? Or are they waiting for Ratcliffe and/or the official nail in the european coffin when we lose to Galatasaray at the end of the month?
Do they have the money to sack him though. It'll be another 15/20m which we reportedly don't have.

But also a new manager means a new plan, which means buying more players - something we definitely can't afford to do.

If it gets really bad they'll have to act, and we might get a temporary manager in charge, an ex player or something. And we'll limp along until the Ratcliffe/ football side is sorted out.
A new manager and a new plan just confirms to the outside world how clueless the club is. Sponsors would get nervous, share price will fall etc. And no one worth hiring will want to come to United. They are best sticking with Hag. I don't want to hark back to the good old days but look how long it took Fergie to sort shit out. We're not in the sort of shape where a new man can come in and be successful because it requires a complete and full reset and restart,
:-BD ^:)^
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 2893
Joined: 10 years ago

Felwin wrote: 3 months ago You're all right, tbf. I just keep flip-flopping back and forth between "he's getting sacked" and "it makes no sense to sack him".

I think the point about us being in no shape to succeed is really important. With the sackings of Moyes/Gaal, we still believed we were a top club and should be competing for top honours, Jose lost the players when player power was probably at its' height (before Ronaldo), with Ole there was a feeling we should be doing much better with these players + having Ronaldo was seen to be a magic route to success.

I just can't shake the feeling that the club might act because it's the done thing. The longer it goes on, the more tempting the new manager bounce looks, especially because it worked wonders with Ole. Part of me could see Rooney taking up the mantle.
Rooney?! :-o
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 3889
Joined: 10 years ago

swampash wrote: 3 months ago
Felwin wrote: 3 months ago You're all right, tbf. I just keep flip-flopping back and forth between "he's getting sacked" and "it makes no sense to sack him".

I think the point about us being in no shape to succeed is really important. With the sackings of Moyes/Gaal, we still believed we were a top club and should be competing for top honours, Jose lost the players when player power was probably at its' height (before Ronaldo), with Ole there was a feeling we should be doing much better with these players + having Ronaldo was seen to be a magic route to success.

I just can't shake the feeling that the club might act because it's the done thing. The longer it goes on, the more tempting the new manager bounce looks, especially because it worked wonders with Ole. Part of me could see Rooney taking up the mantle.
Rooney?! :-o
Felwin when you say you go back and forth, it's not clear if you think the club will keep him or sack him or if you want him to be sacked/not sacked.
The new manager bounce doesn't look tempting at all.
I'd rather they tear the club down, get rid of the crap and build again. This will make us temporarily even worse.
If they actually do this, then Ten Hag could be good for the role. He's worked with youngsters and he's a disciplinarian. That's good.
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 3889
Joined: 10 years ago



Here's a positive Ten Hag stat. This is after the Fulham game.
This is because Ten Hag did very well in his first season with us.
At least he delivered in his first season. Many players haven't delivered at all and some of them will get testimonials because they've been here 10+ years, or they're getting there.
It's 11 games in the prem this season. I'm not going overboard on the Ten Hag criticism, similar to how I didn't go overboard on the Ten Hag praise.
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1381
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

dozer wrote: 3 months ago
swampash wrote: 3 months ago
Felwin wrote: 3 months ago You're all right, tbf. I just keep flip-flopping back and forth between "he's getting sacked" and "it makes no sense to sack him".

I think the point about us being in no shape to succeed is really important. With the sackings of Moyes/Gaal, we still believed we were a top club and should be competing for top honours, Jose lost the players when player power was probably at its' height (before Ronaldo), with Ole there was a feeling we should be doing much better with these players + having Ronaldo was seen to be a magic route to success.

I just can't shake the feeling that the club might act because it's the done thing. The longer it goes on, the more tempting the new manager bounce looks, especially because it worked wonders with Ole. Part of me could see Rooney taking up the mantle.
Rooney?! :-o
Felwin when you say you go back and forth, it's not clear if you think the club will keep him or sack him or if you want him to be sacked/not sacked.
The new manager bounce doesn't look tempting at all.
I'd rather they tear the club down, get rid of the crap and build again. This will make us temporarily even worse.
If they actually do this, then Ten Hag could be good for the role. He's worked with youngsters and he's a disciplinarian. That's good.
That's precisely my point though, it's hard to know what the club will do because of how stupid they'll look and how much it'll cost. As for my opinion, I've been very clear multiple times that I want him to stay even though he really hasn't been helping himself with some decisions.

I agree with you about the new manager bounce, but I think we fans live on a different planet to owners looking to squeeze the club for pennies and at some point it might swing towards "sack him for the potential uptick in form so we can pretend to investors that all is well and/or potentially get the CL money".
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 3972
Joined: 10 years ago

The briefings have starter. Lots of media and twitter stuff today - Hag has lost the dressing room, players questioning his signings and tactics, too many physical training sessions, he lacks warmth. Fucking despise these players.

A loss to Chelsea, which I expect, and another drubbing by the scousers which feels nailed on, and he'll be done.
Post Reply