Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 3989
Joined: 10 years ago

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 4 months ago
JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 4 months ago This won't be a surprise and may have already been reported or inferred previously, but if ever a story summed up why we are, where we are...

I was chatting to a work colleague today and we got to speaking about the England game last night, and what a phenomenal player Bellingham is. This lad I work with mentioned being friends with the family (and its credible, he wasn't bragging). He explained that when Bellingham left Birmingham and went to talk to Dortmund, they produced a dossier showing every aspect of how they'd scouted him, how he'd fit into the team, how he'd be developed. They explained the support network he'd have to settle quickly, get to learn the area, have a place to live. He was driven to the training ground and given the chance to join in a session and get a feel for how they trained, prepared etc. Properly professional.

He came to United to meet Woodward and the first and only thing he talked about were the wages on offer. He was then introduced to Fergie but by then it was too late, and even then, there was no sense given of how he'd fit in.

We have no fucking clue.
It's fucked up. I've heard similar stories with other players. Footballers these days want to know where they'll play, what their role is, a development plan, and the wider footballing philosophy. When City sign a player, Pep and his team of 26 people will blitz them with info, and the UAE will take care of their every need. Players understandably buy into that.

We just try and convince them with money. It's comes from the top. All the Glazers care about is money. It explains why we've signed so many cunts.
Yep, spot on. Its how you inherently test someone's characters. The top players have top mentalities. They want to win and value their careers and success above purely the £.
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1384
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 4 months ago This won't be a surprise and may have already been reported or inferred previously, but if ever a story summed up why we are, where we are...

I was chatting to a work colleague today and we got to speaking about the England game last night, and what a phenomenal player Bellingham is. This lad I work with mentioned being friends with the family (and its credible, he wasn't bragging). He explained that when Bellingham left Birmingham and went to talk to Dortmund, they produced a dossier showing every aspect of how they'd scouted him, how he'd fit into the team, how he'd be developed. They explained the support network he'd have to settle quickly, get to learn the area, have a place to live. He was driven to the training ground and given the chance to join in a session and get a feel for how they trained, prepared etc. Properly professional.

He came to United to meet Woodward and the first and only thing he talked about were the wages on offer. He was then introduced to Fergie but by then it was too late, and even then, there was no sense given of how he'd fit in.

We have no fucking clue.
Unbelievable. Makes you realise every manager since Fergie needs to be cut a bit of slack when it comes to transfers. We've effectively been operating with our hands tied behind our backs. There's a world in which a slicker operation gets Fabregas, Haaland, Bellingham, maybe even De Jong. All of them top class and clearly top pros. Instead we get the hyped up mercenaries.

Obviously we've struck gold a couple of times too because even a blind bird sometimes pecks a worm but really I can only think of Bruno, Casemiro, Eriksen, Martinez and Varane when it comes to top pros brought in and currently playing. And three of them are seemingly physically a rung (or two) below the highest level.

In the last decade maybe Mata, Herrera, Blind, Zlatan, Matic, Cavani and Ronaldo are the only signings with an absolute top mentality. But all of them have their asterisks too, either being slow, old, past their prime and/or prize cunts to boot.

Not that every single player in the squad needs that elite mentality, but more than 2-3 regular starters do. Esepcially when many regulars in the squad seemingly have the opposite of an elite mentality, or are at least still developing one.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 4589
Joined: 10 years ago

Yeah it also shows why our managers keep falling back on getting players they already know and have a good relationship with. United is just not a competently run or professional club, at all.
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 3989
Joined: 10 years ago

And round and round we go.

Leaks that the players are 'revolting' and that 'Hags abrupt manner is creating disharmony'.

I fucking despise this group of players. They fucking are revolting. Get shut, and play the kids.
fat maradona
Legend
Posts: 1385
Joined: 10 years ago

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 4 months ago And round and round we go.

Leaks that the players are 'revolting' and that 'Hags abrupt manner is creating disharmony'.

I fucking despise this group of players. They fucking are revolting. Get shut, and play the kids.
It's laughable isn't it? They're the epitomy of spoilt brats that throw a sulk or hissy fit when things don't do their way. They're currently having a whinge about their kit being too tight and not having official socks (poor souls are having to wear replicas apparently).

Thsi quote from Saha sums up this current squad:

"When I compare it to my era, there were 10-15 players in the United squad who were absolutely obsessed with winning. Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic, Tevez, Evra, Ferdinand and Scholes to name a few were all absolutely obsessed. You could feel this when you were on the pitch with them and in the current squad there is an imbalance – there aren’t enough players with this mentality. The fans want to see that the players are desperate to win and perform well and right now I don’t see that at all"
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 9860
Joined: 10 years ago

It's groundhog day. The cycle has to end. You're looking at Ratcliffe coming in and trying to make massive cultural changes - if it's possible, if he has the power.

But really, the Glazers need to fuck off for this to change.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 4589
Joined: 10 years ago

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 4 months ago And round and round we go.

Leaks that the players are 'revolting' and that 'Hags abrupt manner is creating disharmony'.

I fucking despise this group of players. They fucking are revolting. Get shut, and play the kids.
FFS. When you're losing, everyone should be angry at everyone. They want everything to nice and chummy even when they're losing. We don't see to know how to identify and recruit the psycho ultra competitive players anymore.
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 3896
Joined: 10 years ago

bman2 wrote: 4 months ago
JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 4 months ago And round and round we go.

Leaks that the players are 'revolting' and that 'Hags abrupt manner is creating disharmony'.

I fucking despise this group of players. They fucking are revolting. Get shut, and play the kids.
FFS. When you're losing, everyone should be angry at everyone. They want everything to nice and chummy even when they're losing. We don't see to know how to identify and recruit the psycho ultra competitive players anymore.
The club never recruited players identified by their recruitment team. They have always recruited the players the manager wanted. The managers rights should have been limited to veto rights when it comes to buying a player but here we just ask the manager for his list and get going.
fat maradona
Legend
Posts: 1385
Joined: 10 years ago

Eriksen out for 6 games and Hojlund to miss the rest of November. Luckily we have a big squad. Of Shit.
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1384
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

fat maradona wrote: 3 months ago Eriksen out for 6 games and Hojlund to miss the rest of November. Luckily we have a big squad. Of Shit.
It's alright, we've got Martial and Mount to come in :-BD
Post Reply