Erik Ten Hag

Manchester United chat
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 4 months ago Sacking Hag could be Ratcliffe's first big decision, if gets control of the football side of things.

And tbf I'd trust him more right now in finding a replacement than the Glazers, Arnold and Murtough who don't have a clue what's happening in football.
Bit of noise that Ratcliffe wants Potter.....
fat maradona
Legend

Too early to be calling for Hag's head in my opinion. We were all jizzing uncontrollably last season when he had his first 11 and playing Hag ball, when we were all dreaming of what next season could deliver. As mentioned above, he hasn't had his first choice 11 available and the 2nd 11 is pretty poor quality.

I do find his reluctance to switch up tactics a bit frustrating though, it's clear that his system doesn't work without the right players and so he should have an alternative to fall back on. And I agree on his signings, I'm not convinced that they're the best buys when you look at options but if he's buying what he knows because the scouting department isn't doing it's job, then he can't be solely responsible.

I was telling my mate the other day to forget about the glory days returning, we have been lucky to have supported the club through 1990-2010, where we witnessed 2 great teams and domination of the game. Now we're resigned to watching in frustration at how bad the club and team is.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Yeah I'm not calling for his head, or even close to it. I've just gone from being absolute in thinking 'he's the man for us', to now thinking 'hmmm, not 100% sure here.'
fat maradona
Legend

I don't think there is another manager out there that is currently get-able who I'd suggest replacing Hag with. We'd all love De Zerbi but he's still only a 1 season wonder. Nagelsmann is national coach. Any other decent manager will be happy where they are or wouldn't risk ruining their reputation coming to a badly run club. They know what'll happen, they'll just become the scapegoat for what the real root cause problem is.

Hag just needs some time. This is just the start of his 2nd season, he's had to deal with more personnel issues in that time than most managers in their careers, he's had to deal with a substandard squad of players, the lack of proper organisation above him. Sure he's a stubborn mofo and perhaps some of those personnel issues were of his making. I'd be giving him 3 years to prove whatever he is attempting is working. What's the worst that can happen? We'll be shitter than we are now? Not a low bar to meet.
Felwin
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 4 months ago I don't think there is another manager out there that is currently get-able who I'd suggest replacing Hag with. We'd all love De Zerbi but he's still only a 1 season wonder. Nagelsmann is national coach. Any other decent manager will be happy where they are or wouldn't risk ruining their reputation coming to a badly run club. They know what'll happen, they'll just become the scapegoat for what the real root cause problem is.

Hag just needs some time. This is just the start of his 2nd season, he's had to deal with more personnel issues in that time than most managers in their careers, he's had to deal with a substandard squad of players, the lack of proper organisation above him. Sure he's a stubborn mofo and perhaps some of those personnel issues were of his making. I'd be giving him 3 years to prove whatever he is attempting is working. What's the worst that can happen? We'll be shitter than we are now? Not a low bar to meet.
With you 100% on this post.

Don’t trust the club - as Sid said could be a statement move from Ratcliffe - to not push the button. There’s an easy scenario where the next manager comes in and starts picking players we want gone and sacking off Hag’s signings. That’ll just be a continuation of the shit we’ve had for years.
bman2
Legend

I'm not Hag 'til I die or anything, but he impressed me last season with the way he dug in and made a good season out of it, despite a terrible start and bad circumstances. The state United is in, that impresses me more than whoever the hot manager of the moment is at some other club. There's nobody out there available with a long record of success at big clubs, so we'd just be rolling the dice on whoever this year's Ten Hag is (de Zerbi I suppose). Potter was manager of the moment when Chelsea brought him in, and it was a disaster.

And I suppose Ratcliffe's decision-making can't be any shitter than the Glazers, but I don't see any reason other than blind hope to assume he knows what he's doing either.

As for TH's signings, I think we've all learned enough about the current United not to judge our managers too harshly on signings. They're all just trying to desperately put together a competitive squad at a club whose transfer functions are fundamentally broken. You can't get the players you want most, and whoever you do get, you pay a fortune for them. We saw it first with Moyes, who ended up turning to Fellaini at the end of the summer window because the club was literally unable to sign any fucking player. Goal swooped for a couple of Dutch lads in the same way. Mourinho had to get Matic in because the club couldn't get him a DM. Ole relied on players that Phelan and Carrick knew, and now Ten Hag of course is relying on his own network big time. It's far from ideal, but what else can the managers do, because if they leave it up to the club, they'll be sacked within months.
bman2
Legend

In other words, I'd be happy to stick with TH while Ratcliffe fixes all the football operations that are supposed to support the manager. Give one of our managers a platform for success, and let's see how he does.
dozer
Legend

The problem with Ten Hag is that even his safe signings ie players who've played for him before have looked crap.
The problem in sacking him is that it just enables more player power. The new buyer must write off an other 300-400m and cull most of the team and then ten hag. We'll struggle for a few years but the club needs to amputate the leg to stop the spread.

Having said that ten hag has been very unlucky this season and he did well in the last. In spite of what I said many times earlier, there is this other voice in my head saying he should be given a chance. I wouldn't mind giving him a proper go until the end of the season to see if things turn around once he gets his players back. He delivered last season, that can't be ignored. He's not had a full season yet this season so sacking him might be rash. Having said that we could have said the same about Ole. He lost his job early on his first bad season. But ten hag seems to be ruthless unlike Ole.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

This image and many others similar are doing the rounds. It reminds me of that time under Fergie when we had 7 players in attack but no midfield to get the ball to them. There's no formation in this situation, and no system. In Hag's second season you expect his style of play to be embedded.

Felwin
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 4 months ago This image and many others similar are doing the rounds. It reminds me of that time under Fergie when we had 7 players in attack but no midfield to get the ball to them. There's no formation in this situation, and no system. In Hag's second season you expect his style of play to be embedded.

Tweet isn't loading, can you take a screenshot?