Assessing our squad

Manchester United chat
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 4251
Joined: 10 years ago

There's such little thought given to our recruitment. It's all about spending big on 'names', but generally in the sense of paying top dollar for names that aren't actually top players. It wouldn't be so bad if we actually recruited world class players for the world class level fees we pay. Galactico signings will only ramp up under a Qatari ownership, though I think we'd improve the quality of what we bring in.

Honestly though, I'd rather we just shop sensibly. The most common sense signing we've made in years was Eriksen on a free. Even with his heart issue, it was so low risk in terms of expenditure against proven quality in a position we were chronically lacking in. There are all sorts of deals we could go after in the summer which wouldn't break the bank but would really improve us.

James Ward-Prowse: If Southampton go down, he'd be easily gettable, probably for no more than 30m. A great alternative to Eriksen, technically a great fit for a possession based side, world class set piece ability which is something else we lack. A lower cost and more realistic option than De Jong.

Evan Ferguson. Only 18, but already physically ready for the Premier League. He'll be world class that lad, and he's a united fan. Don't know how much he'd cost but I reckon 40-50m would be enough.

Maddison, if Leicester go down will want out.

I said at the time we should have gone for Trossard with him only having a year on his contract. Better than Antony or Sancho and for a third of the price.

We just seem lazy in our thinking.
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 4251
Joined: 10 years ago

The other thing, is how much dead wood we have to shift. Before you even look at the likes of McTominay, Maguire, Martial, Lindlof etc.

We still have all these on our books:
Henderson
Telles
Williams
Bailly
Jones
Tuanzebe
Mengi

Elanga, Van De Beek need to be moved on.

There's a LOT of shite that's still lingering.
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1580
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago
We just seem lazy in our thinking.
So much of our business recently has been informed by one of three things. Ed throwing cash at a big name, the current manager's personal judgement or whoever was available and wants to join the circus.

Hopefully two of those three things are history (for now) as we seem to have a direction and a way of playing for players to buy into (and a manger who develops players) and of course Ed is gone. Little concerning that Hag picked all the signings last summer personally. Especially if it goes of the rails and we have the next manager picking up the pieces again. But in general I expect our recruitment to improve. Weghorst and Sabitzer can be seen as signs that we're getting smarter and trying to operate within a budget.

I'm with you on the outgoings. Maguire needs to go. Club captain and never plays. Martial is good enough IMO but his body has blown his chance this season. McT might stay due to registration rules but maybe the club sees a market for a sale. I'm a bit undecided on Lindelof. Not good enough to play regularly but also hasn't been terrible when he's appeared this season (Newcastle aside where he was thrown to the dogs IMO).

As for the others. Van de Beek is the same as Martial. Might've had a chance but unfortunately can't be relied upon to stay fit. Elanga will never be good enough, especially for what Hag wants.

The rest are all basically half out the door. Mengi might stay if Hag sees something there. I can see there being much more youth involved next season. But apart from that, you're right, all need shifting.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 10277
Joined: 11 years ago

On the issue of wages, have a look at this. Note what happens towards the end of Eds reign where we outspend a billionaire and a state. It's totally unsustainable and why we're in such a mess with FFP.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/13318210/
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1580
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 year ago On the issue of wages, have a look at this. Note what happens towards the end of Eds reign where we outspend a billionaire and a state. It's totally unsustainable and why we're in such a mess with FFP.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/13318210/
Interesting graphic but a bit misleading because it's total spent since 1992, so obvious that we'd be on top because we had a head start on most.

Year on year spending has still been outrageous though. Only in the last 2-3 seasons have City overtaken us. I think Chelsea too recently.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 4593
Joined: 11 years ago

The players that need to be moved on most urgently are the ones on really big wages that contribute very little. Maguire and Sancho are the most obvious, surely among the highest paid players at the club. FFP means they have to go ASAP. I’d imagine that Martial is a high earner too. Probably all of our players are over paid, but I think the likes of Lindelof are paid much less, while contributing a good deal more. So a much lower priority to move on squaddies who aren’t top earners. It’s the Maguires and Sanchos that kill us for FFP.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 10277
Joined: 11 years ago

If Fernandes continues on this trajectory he will have played 71 games this season - nearly two seasons worth of games.

Another mad stat; he's only ever had one physical injury. He's had two bugs in the past and I think missed 2 games cos of them. But that's it. He's 28 as well.
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 3065
Joined: 10 years ago

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 year ago If Fernandes continues on this trajectory he will have played 71 games this season - nearly two seasons worth of games.

Another mad stat; he's only ever had one physical injury. He's had two bugs in the past and I think missed 2 games cos of them. But that's it. He's 28 as well.
Truly amazing Sid.
User avatar
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend
Posts: 4251
Joined: 10 years ago

Whereas Martial has been here for 8 seasons and missed the equivalent of 2 full seasons in terms of injury, plus a half a season away on Loan. Pathetic.

As for the squad, Ten Hag has done a remarkable job really, when you take a proper look at what's needed. We don't have a reliable keeper. We have 2 reliable centre backs, one of whom can't play more than a game a week. No reliable first choice right back. Shaw has been good this season but he's still be part of many games where our arse falls out. Midfield first choice is quality but has no depth. One quality forward, one new forward who's improving but has a long was to go and a quality young prospect.

To win big titles, you need 16-18 top, top players and then reliable depth. I'd say we have Martinez, Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Rashford. You could make a case for including Shaw and Antony. Fred, Garnacho, Malacia and one of Dalot/Bissaka as squad players. We probably need a keeper, centre back, right back, alternative to Casemiro, a top class number 8, a top number 9 and backup number 9. Minimum.

Gea, Maguire, Lindelof, Sancho, Martial, McTominay, Van de Beek, Elanga, probably Pellestri all need to go. And that's on top of Weghorst, Bailly, Telles, Tuanzebe, Jones, Williams, Henderson, Mengi, Greenwood.
User avatar
Felwin
Legend
Posts: 1580
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Abroad

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago Whereas Martial has been here for 8 seasons and missed the equivalent of 2 full seasons in terms of injury, plus a half a season away on Loan. Pathetic.

As for the squad, Ten Hag has done a remarkable job really, when you take a proper look at what's needed. We don't have a reliable keeper. We have 2 reliable centre backs, one of whom can't play more than a game a week. No reliable first choice right back. Shaw has been good this season but he's still be part of many games where our arse falls out. Midfield first choice is quality but has no depth. One quality forward, one new forward who's improving but has a long was to go and a quality young prospect.

To win big titles, you need 16-18 top, top players and then reliable depth. I'd say we have Martinez, Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Rashford. You could make a case for including Shaw and Antony. Fred, Garnacho, Malacia and one of Dalot/Bissaka as squad players. We probably need a keeper, centre back, right back, alternative to Casemiro, a top class number 8, a top number 9 and backup number 9. Minimum.

Gea, Maguire, Lindelof, Sancho, Martial, McTominay, Van de Beek, Elanga, probably Pellestri all need to go. And that's on top of Weghorst, Bailly, Telles, Tuanzebe, Jones, Williams, Henderson, Mengi, Greenwood.
16-18 top, top players?! Sorry but that is fucking mental. City have maybe 12-13 and they're The Best Team In The World™. Arsenal have 7-8 and they're challenging for the title. Some of Fergies teams had a similar amount to Arsenal this year.

IMO we have 4-5 players who wouldn't look out of place in a title-winning team - Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford based on this season but not as a 9. We need better players, no doubt about it, but 12-13 top signings is overdramatic. A top striker, a top GK, 1-2 mifdielders, 1-2 FB's and a rotation CB and we could challenge (so 7-8 players). It's a lot and we can't afford it so it won't happen, but 16-18 top players is mad.
Post Reply