Greenwood

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

What a mess.
fat maradona
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago It's obviously a difficult one, but I believe strongly in the presumption of innocence unless proven guilty. On that basis, I think he has to be given a chance to resume his career amd should be allowed to do so here. But either way, we won't be seeing him this season.

Purely in football terms, which I know this isn't a case of, he'd be a dynamite fit for Hags system.
Imagine if he'd have had ETH as his manager/coach back when he burst onto the scene, he'd be up there with Mbappe. It was unfortunate for him and many other United players that they had Ole/Carrick/Ralf as their managers/coaches.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

FuB wrote: 1 year ago
Jason wrote: 1 year ago
dozer wrote: 1 year ago Mason Greenwood's rape charges have been dropped. Does that mean he comes back to play?

I think the club will try to not okay him because it'll be a pr nightmare if he does. But legally I don't think they can.
Legally there is no reason for them not to.

What does that mean, there wasn't enough evidence to bring a charge? If I remember right, it wasn't the girl that brought them was it? The police acted from her posts, so if she didn't help them would be hard to charge him i guess.

Players have come back from rape charges before, but none as high profile as greenwood.

Minefield for the club really.
CPS spokesman says:

We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

We have explained our decision to all parties.
doesn't really matter, though... mud sticks.

Would anyone object to me unlocking the Greenwood thread now so that any further discussion is on topic?
I think that's fair enough, as we're not at risk of compromising legal proceedings
FuB
Site Admin

Now the police investigation has led to all charges being dropped by the CPS, this thread is now unlocked. Please keep Greeenwood discussion here. Thanks
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
Felwin
Legend

Really torn up about this to be honest. My gut says I don't want to see him playing football, let alone in a United shirt ever again. In a similar vain to Ronaldo he seems to have got off on a legal technicality.

Will the club actually lift his suspension though? Will we have to deal with that moral mess if he starts playing?

EDIT: Just seen you've been discussing it in the other thread already.
FuB
Site Admin

I've moved over the posts from the other thread
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 1 year ago
Jason wrote: 1 year ago
What does that mean, there wasn't enough evidence to bring a charge? If I remember right, it wasn't the girl that brought them was it? The police acted from her posts, so if she didn't help them would be hard to charge him i guess.

Players have come back from rape charges before, but none as high profile as greenwood.

Minefield for the club really.
A CPS spokesperson said: "We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review. "In this case, a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case."

Perhaps the leaked media which prompted his arrest made him look at his worst and subsequent investigation suggested it wasn't as bad. Who knows and I don't think it'll come to light.

It'd be hard for him to go to another club in this country. The club will wait and see what fan reaction is like. I mean, if the case has been dropped and he is legally not guilty, do us fans try and forget about it and welcome him back? Everything I knew was what the media had fed me and I've long since been skeptical of what the media tell me. He's been at the club since he was a kid, perhaps they do find a way to bring him back and 'rehab' him.
"Key witnesses withdrawing" - in domestic abuse cases this often happens for many reasons; fear, trauma, intimidation, fear of retaliation. This case is really high profile so that comes with its own baggage, abuse, intimidation etc.

In terms of domestic abuse, a victim will go back on average 7 times to a perpetrator before they finally leave often dropping legal proceedings in the process. Leaving is the most dangerous time as this is when violence and murder typically occurs. I don't know if they have a relationship now but I'm trying to get across some info about this kind of stuff that I feel is relevant.

I mean, we've all heard the recording. Even if he's innocent, it's bad. Football clubs have no morals. In these cases, like with the Suarez racism case, clubs are heavily influenced by sponsors as they're the ones that hold a lot of financial clout especially for a club like United.

As with Suarez, the main shirt sponsor was appalled and wanted it resolving asap, which prompted a complete change in approach from Liverpool. Sponsors don't want to be associated with toxic characters, it's bad for business. I think they will be key in this case.

I think he may go abroad and begin to restablish his career. And if he's still shit hot (he's missed a lot of football), someone will buy him so long as it doesn't impact their sponsors etc cos like I said football has no morals. But equally I wouldn't be surprised if United kept him.

Having said that, clubs will be aware these charges could come back at any time which would jeopardize his career. You don't want to pay 80m for a player who could be sidelined for a long time. If someone takes a punt on him I expect they'll demonise the woman in the preceeding years, attention seeker, gold digger etc
dozer
Legend

Greenwood is still in a relationship with his girlfriend apparently. Now is that an honest relationship or he's paid her off is up for speculation? She did take down that video soon after posting it so my guess is she still had feelings for him despite the assault and she didn't want to ruin his career.
Felwin
Legend

Looking back at the club's refusal to formally suspend him at any point of the process, I can't help think they've been preparing the ground for his return should the outcome be positive for him. There are creative ways of terminating his contract but it wouldn't fit with their light-handed actions so far IMO.

Turns my stomach thinking about it but I think he might be kept on in the hope that the dust will settle.

Hope I'm wrong.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

How is he going to play in front of crowds? They'll absolutely hammer him. We've all heard the recording...

It might be best if he makes the decision to fuck off abroad