Erik Ten Hag

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 year ago
dozer wrote: 1 year ago
Fuck the Glazers wrote: 1 year ago United haven't conceded a goal in the Prem at Old Trafford since sept 4. This is the single most impressive stat for me when you consider how utterly fucking weak and incompetent we've been in defence for ages thanks largely for Slabhead and Hoof and 5 years of counterattack football.

It's not just the fact we have better defenders in Martinez and Varane, it's the fact for the first time since Gaal we're trying to control games with a high press and possession. Casemiro, Eriksen and Fernandes is formidable. They can win the ball, keep the ball and then progress us up the pitch.

Who knew signing better defenders and top midfielders would prove so valuable.
We've signed plenty of defenders and midfielders in the past. They all turned out to be crap.
The real test starts soon. We've got a tough couple of games.
It's not a real test. They've already played the top 8 in the first 10/12 games and got a result against all of em except City - beating Liverpool, Arsenal etc
We've been on great runs before. Especially under solskjaer. We've only just gotten 4th after all this great form and in spite of Liverpool doing poorly. So we don't have any leeway for the form to end. We'll be out of the top 4.

The city game is crucial. City aren't playing that well now. If we lose to them, it's a very bad sign. We need to show that we've improved since that 6-3 thrashing.
Tbf ten hag does look like he's really getting a grip on things at the club. So I expect an improved performance.
bman2
Legend

A lot of the credit has to go to Casemiro [fucks sake autocorrect hates his name] individually for the improvement in our defending. And I’ve seen him make so many class passes as well as the fucking convincing goals he scores. He really is the midfield transformation Pogba was supposed to be. I really hope we get four or five top years out of him. I worry we’ll go off the rails if he gets injured.

But yeah, I don’t think ETH would be nearly as happy right now if it wasnt for that particular player. But I think he has really shown his hunger and willingness to adjust and adapt, and a slick looking United side is emerging. But as a wise man once said, it’s the hope that kills you.
bman2
Legend

What I mean in that last bit is, ETH looks to me like a modern manager with all the latest tactical wisdom, and seems to be the sort of obsessive type you apparently need, but I also like that he will adjust the plan to suit the players. Like great as Pep is, if they don’t win the league or CL this season, either him or Halland will have to leave the club. He’s shit with proper 9s. But it looks so far like ETH has found the right balance between prioritizing a system and adapting to your players.
bman2
Legend

Ten Hag has won Keano over, he’s got him eating out of his hand like a puppy:

TH keeps talking about standards and never makes excuses, love it.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Fergie makes a great point in this short vid; he says Hag has got a grip of the club. He can handle it. You couldn't say that of any manager before him. It was too big for Jose. Madrid was too. He basically had a breakdown. Ole was way too enamoured, which is understandable. And Gaal was off his rocker.

Hag never talks about the glory years, he's not intimidated.

bman2
Legend

He’s benefited from Woodward’s departure. Arnold doesn’t seem nearly as bad, doesn’t interfere in the football side of things.
dozer
Legend

If we don't make top 4, top 3 actually then ten hag would have under achieved this season. Liverpool and Chelsea have been poor this season so we must get the 3rd position.

Bman always says points per season matter. Fair enough. We'll keep an eye out on that too.
Felwin
Legend

dozer wrote: 1 year ago If we don't make top 4, top 3 actually then ten hag would have under achieved this season. Liverpool and Chelsea have been poor this season so we must get the 3rd position.

Bman always says points per season matter. Fair enough. We'll keep an eye out on that too.
You been firing up football manager again and winning the league with us?
dozer
Legend

Felwin wrote: 1 year ago
dozer wrote: 1 year ago If we don't make top 4, top 3 actually then ten hag would have under achieved this season. Liverpool and Chelsea have been poor this season so we must get the 3rd position.

I didn't say winning the league. I said 3rd place.
That would be a position wed be expected to occupy considering we spent the most money in the summer and got 2 loan signings in January.
Newcastle spent less money than us and have a weaker team but they're above United now.
Felwin
Legend

dozer wrote: 1 year ago
Felwin wrote: 1 year ago

I didn't say winning the league. I said 3rd place.
That would be a position wed be expected to occupy considering we spent the most money in the summer and got 2 loan signings in January.
Newcastle spent less money than us and have a weaker team but they're above United now.
Who here expected 3rd at the beginning of the season because we signed Casemiro, Eriksen and Antony? Most of us thought Casemiro was here for the payday and that Eriksen would be Bruno's backup. Antony was (maybe still is) an unknown.

And the two loan signings in Jan were plasters on a gaping wound, we all know that.

The amount of money we've spent since roughly 2015 is outrageous and we've regularly outspent City in transfers and almost anyone else in terms of wages. Were we all expecting to win the league every year as a result of that?

If anything praise Hag for the relative stability and the way in which he's reacted and brought us a wee bit of silverware. There's easily another reality where we carried on being shit, Casemiro didn't fancy it, Rashford never found form and Hag was staring down the barrel of a sacking.