Old Trafford Redevelopment

Manchester United chat
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

So, apparently we've commissioned the same company who designed Spurs stadium to produce options for either a redevelopment of OT, or new Stadium.

Redevelopment would cost around £1b, a new stadium around £2b.

Nothing is going to happen until a sale concludes, clearly. whoever buys us is going to face a significant bill, not just for this, but the training ground probably needs several hundred million spending on it, as does the squad.

What are people's thoughts on preference regarding upgrades vs new stadium?

Old Trafford is such a symbolic part of our heritage, I'd be loathe to leave it. But tbh, if we're serious about using a change in ownership to re-establish ourselves at the top of the world stage, we need a new, state of the art stadium.
fat maradona
Legend

If we end up moving away from OT, then they'll make a fortune on selling the land to developers. It's a prime location for resi and light commercial.

Ideally I'd like us to stay at OT and for the stadium to be brought up to standard. It could be done in quadrants like they did in the 90's, doesn't have to be in one go. I think teams start losing their identity when they move away from their historic grounds, just look at Arsenal who have spent the past 15 years being a shadow of the side that played at Highbury.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Big news. I believe the stadium is central to the Glazers selling and what new owners come in - cos it's so expensive.

Interesting that the redevelopment is going to cost a billion. Nev said it has 3-5 years before it's structurally unsafe. Stands to reason cos a lot of the post war concrete buildings like schools and hospitals had a 50 year life span and are now being propped up, literally.

I'm up for a new stadium on the same site so long as it's not a shithole soulless bowl. It has to be a good, new stadium whose purpose is to generate atmosphere and connection not a corporate football experience. So more Spurs than Arsenal. Architects have shown it can be done. It has to be that for me otherwise we'll lose one of the last and most important parts of being a football fan. One essential is having fans as close to the pitch as possible.
Felwin
Legend

I couldn't even imagine leaving Old Trafford. If we have to rebuild, then like Spurs maybe and develop in virtually the same location... but that would mean a possible groundshare. Fuck the Emptihad and they wouldn't want us anyway... that leaves the Reebok and a load of tiny stadiums so it won't happen.

Redevelopment is the only way. Bit by bit, spread the cost, stay on site, we've got the room ffs.
bman2
Legend

I think Richard Arnold said as much in that pub chat with supporters that was filmed by one of them. But I hadn’t really factored in the ticking clock on the renovations, that’s a really good point.

So basically it comes down to the glazers being the scummy zero-investment parasite landlords we always knew they were. That’s been their model in everything, they’re the parasite kind of landlord. And now that the property absolutely needs expensive maintenance, they’d prefer to sell it.

It’s so appalling that this was let happen, but the whole league is a moral travesty these days, every club is owned by tyrants, slumlords, or bookies.