Will the Glazers sell?

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

Getting the club in hock to PE is just going to fuck us even more. More money taken out long term, in exchange for an injection of cash that we know the Glazers won’t spend wisely. The price of Glazer ownership keeps going up. It’ll be an absolute disgrace if this happens.

The next owners of Manchester United will be the Glazers’ creditors. Telling you right now.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

The club have since denied it but their word means fuck all at this point

Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Some good news

OliverB
Reserves

Of course, when I said protests are pointless I don't mean that in a bad way because what protests do is show that plenty of people care for the course, well, except the small minority of non UTD fans who will go to them to cause trouble.

I have never been a fan of boycotts, when I see fans of other clubs who are in a bit of a crisis organising mass boycotts I always think - that's not fair on the players who are still out there on the pitch fighting for the club and it's fans.

However in our case, we put out a team who we know is more than capable of winning games - yet they don't win, they don't draw, the majority of the team don't even play with a passion or a desire to win football matches - so in my opinion a boycott is fair game because those players are not playing for the fans... if they were I wouldn't mind so much that we were losing games.

At the minute those players are taking home a wage, regardless of who the manager is they should be out there putting every single ounce of effort they have into winning football matches.

We have over 50,000 season ticket holders so them boycotting isn't going to affect the Glazers financially - which is a shame because hitting them financially is the only way they are going to leave.

You never know though if there were so many season ticket holders boycotting games that the stadium looked bare most of the time - it could send out a good signal but it would be wrong to expect fans who have spent their hard earned money on a Season Ticket to boycott games.

If fans are serious about wanting the Glazers out, they should spend the rest of the season trying to convince any other season ticket holders they know not to renew it for next season, hit the Glazers in the pocket and come the start of next season there would be protests before games followed by a bare looking Old Trafford - that's the only way I can see them selling the club at a reasonable price.

Other than that, a very rich consortium coming along and offering them a lot more money than the club is worth is our only hope.
;)
swampash
Legend

I’m curious about the motives behind this story. If the Glazers want to cash in some shares, why not just sell them on the stock market in the normal way?
Selling a minority to a PE fund will come with strings attached, as the fund will be seeking to realise a valuation gain for its own stock holders. I wonder if the answer lies in the possibility that a PE investor might insist on board representation and an active role in overhauling the club management, thereby enhancing on-field performance and, as a direct consequence, raising medium term profitability, which would then yield a significant capital gain for themselves and a value gain for the Glazers? This might be very attractive to the owners, as they have singly failed to manage the asset themselves. Might they have been persuaded that a third party could be more effective at it?
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

In my experience, PE houses don't fuck about when it comes to exiting people who aren't capable. There's no sentiment and no old boys club. They get the best people in for the job. My worry is - would a PE house even know who the best people are?

For me, its a full sale to someone like a Jim Ratcliffe. That's what's needed.
fat maradona
Legend

The ideal scenario is that a United fan who cares about the club and has deep pockets buys it off the Glazers.

PE houses are only interested in maximising their return, nothing else. There is no emotional attachment or sentiment. It's purely down to numbers. I've only had limited experience of PE when clients have sold up and post transaction client experiences are that PE aren't shy about replacing under performing people with those who are best in class and hungry. United being owned by a PE house isn't going to be in the best interest of football but it'll be streets ahead of being owned by inept Glazers. I'm also of the opinion that it's where football clubs will end up, in the hands of capitalists.
dozer
Legend

FabrizioRomano isn't saying shit about a stake sale so I'm calling this bullshit news.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 1 year ago The ideal scenario is that a United fan who cares about the club and has deep pockets buys it off the Glazers.

PE houses are only interested in maximising their return, nothing else. There is no emotional attachment or sentiment. It's purely down to numbers. I've only had limited experience of PE when clients have sold up and post transaction client experiences are that PE aren't shy about replacing under performing people with those who are best in class and hungry. United being owned by a PE house isn't going to be in the best interest of football but it'll be streets ahead of being owned by inept Glazers. I'm also of the opinion that it's where football clubs will end up, in the hands of capitalists.
Will it though? It seems PE will do what's best for them and their bottom line in a more ruthless way than the Glazers currently do. And what's good for their bottom line is not what's best for United. It doesn't necessarily mean success on the pitch. It almost definitely means the european super league as well.

But yeah I agree, PE is all over prem football at the minute, it looks like they're the future.
swampash
Legend

But is it necessarily worse than Newcastle style sportswashing Sid??