Will the Glazers sell?

Manchester United chat
Felwin
Legend

I get why people's giddiness is giving them hope but I reckon we're stuck with them until a vain oligarch puts up a monster bid. No way we wend up with a decent, resposible owner in this climate.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

I'm involved in Private Equity. We do NOT want PE involvement at United. A minority stake being sold to a PE house, with funds that likely go to the Glazers than the club, would be the worst possible next step.
fat maradona
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago I'm involved in Private Equity. We do NOT want PE involvement at United. A minority stake being sold to a PE house, with funds that likely go to the Glazers than the club, would be the worst possible next step.
Spot on, PE will not reinvest, PE will want it's return every quarter, on time, without fail.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago I'm involved in Private Equity. We do NOT want PE involvement at United. A minority stake being sold to a PE house, with funds that likely go to the Glazers than the club, would be the worst possible next step.
If you can be arsed to explain I'd love to know what private equity is/does. Is it the same as an investment firm like Clearlake at Chelsea? Eg a group that just want returns
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

Sid wrote: 1 year ago
If you can be arsed to explain I'd love to know what private equity is/does. Is it the same as an investment firm like Clearlake at Chelsea? Eg a group that just want returns
Very simply, yes. They want returns, but will be absolutely ruthless and cut throat in obtaining those returns. They’re only commitment is to their investors, not to the football club and certainly not to its fans. They’ll do pretty much anything to realise those returns in my experience. On the plus side, they don’t tolerate underperformance, but if you think we struggle to invest properly in the club now, it’ll be even worse if PE is involved.

I’ll explain more fully about some of my experiences when I get time - tied up tonight.
Felwin
Legend

JoelfuckingGlazer wrote: 1 year ago
Very simply, yes. They want returns, but will be absolutely ruthless and cut throat in obtaining those returns. They’re only commitment is to their investors, not to the football club and certainly not to its fans. They’ll do pretty much anything to realise those returns in my experience. On the plus side, they don’t tolerate underperformance, but if you think we struggle to invest properly in the club now, it’ll be even worse if PE is involved.

I’ll explain more fully about some of my experiences when I get time - tied up tonight.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not optimistic about PE getting involved, but is there a chance they might strip back spending and make the club more efficient? I'm thinking in terms of having a strict wage structure like the scousers or spurs. It'd be nice to not be an institution used by agents in order to squeeze a payday for themselves and their client.
FuB
Site Admin

Felwin wrote: 1 year ago

Don't get me wrong, I'm not optimistic about PE getting involved, but is there a chance they might strip back spending and make the club more efficient? I'm thinking in terms of having a strict wage structure like the scousers or spurs. It'd be nice to not be an institution used by agents in order to squeeze a payday for themselves and their client.
Reports suggest that the Glazers only intend to sell off a small minority stake and therefore that stake will have no ability to determine how the business is run. They will only care about returns so, essentially, the club can be run just as poorly with just as much of a fucked wage structure but there will be (even!) less to reinvest because PE will want its payout regardless.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

That's possibly an element of upside. Underperformed don't last 2 mins. But let's be honest, they ain't gonna be calling the shots. If they're buying in, it's because they have confidence that revenue streams are going up. I dont think the super league is totally dead...
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

That's really helpful, thank you. It's what I thought tbh that their only motivation is profit.

You have to wonder why PE is getting involved in football. It's a a shit business. The biggest most well known clubs like United, Madrid etc only make 1/150m profit a year - and that has to be reinvested in players, wages etc not extracted by rich cunts.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

That's possibly an element of upside. Underperformed don't last 2 mins. But let's be honest, they ain't gonna be calling the shots. If they're buying in, it's because they have confidence that revenue streams are going up. I dont think the super league is totally dead...
Very good point.