Other Teams' Stuff

Non-United football chat
User avatar
captainhormone
First Teamer
Posts: 136
Joined: 10 years ago

I'm loving the quality red moniker tbf..mmm
Lkhm

Hoofing

Quality Red.
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 2601
Joined: 10 years ago

captainhormone wrote:I'm loving the quality red moniker tbf..mmm

Unlike it's author, it's a keeper.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
User avatar
RobDiablo
First Teamer
Posts: 403
Joined: 10 years ago

Sid wrote:"A better, long-term strategy would have been to try to secure a place in Europe next season by finishing higher in the league and/or winning one of the domestic cup competitions."

So right the goal should be finishing in a Europa League spot (not the top 4, surely) next season. But what's the point if you're not going to take the competition seriously? Why bother aiming to finish in a position were you can play in a competition you don't want to be in
Okay, I should have said prioritize it. The long-term part was that each succeeding summer, you strengthen the squad (not just deepen it), and then, one day, a season come along when you're strong enough to make a serious run at it.

Swansea has been punching above its weight ever since it got into the Premiership; it didn't need the distraction of the Europa League with a squad this poor.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 10026
Joined: 10 years ago

Laudrup will have thought they were strong enough after smashing it last season, so he went on to build a bigger squad to cope with the ridiculous number of games they have to play this season.

They were never going to be as good this time round. I don't think the squad is poor, it's just stretched, and with the distractions off the field, this is the result. Without Europa they would slap a few teams - a few big teams too. But fuck it, enjoy Europe, because now they owner cunt has rejigged the coaching set up and sacked the manager, a lot will change.

Look at Fulham, remember when they beat Juve in that class game in the Europa? Now they can't even beat Sheffield United at home. How they'd long for those european games now (except they wouldn't when they were in the competition, they'd just fucking moan, oooh do we have to go to these tiny countries to play these pathetic little teams, we're in the prem don't you know - and then they'd lose 2-0 because christ knows wheres riff raff play better football than our riff raff and it pains us)
User avatar
RobDiablo
First Teamer
Posts: 403
Joined: 10 years ago

Again, I understand where you are coming from; it's just not the way I think.

Laudrup spent a lot of money (by Swansea's standards), but he didn't improve the first XI at all. Not one position is now manned by a better player than it was last season. He had an opportunity to improve Swansea, but he missed it because he was fixated on the Europa League.

You seem to think it was worth it, and I disagree. We'll have to leave it at that.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend
Posts: 10026
Joined: 10 years ago

They won't be in Europe next season and with that squad, now it's bigger and has a bit more quality, they'll do well domestically

Well they won't because they've sacked him, his assistant and rejigged the staff so fuck knows what will happen now

Modern football is shit etc
User avatar
just1n
Star Man
Posts: 546
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Africa

Sid wrote:They won't be in Europe next season and with that squad, now it's bigger and has a bit more quality, they'll do well domestically

Well they won't because they've sacked him, his assistant and rejigged the staff so fuck knows what will happen now

Modern football is shit etc
its a strange game. Loads of people were wanting Laudrup instead of Moyes. Fickle tbf.
GLAZERS OUT!
User avatar
Snoopcousins
Legend
Posts: 1300
Joined: 10 years ago

Strootman - Quality goal against Napoli..

How come we could all tell he would have been a great signing but no bids?? Ffs
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 3240
Joined: 10 years ago

Snoopcousins wrote:Strootman - Quality goal against Napoli..

How come we could all tell he would have been a great signing but no bids?? Ffs
Link, cunty bollocks???
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 2601
Joined: 10 years ago

Snoopcousins wrote:Strootman - Quality goal against Napoli..

How come we could all tell he would have been a great signing but no bids?? Ffs
Wasn't he signed for much less than Fella, just to make it worse.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Post Reply